Cheap security camera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is just getting outrageous. We're coming to a point where it will require concertina wire around each home with a guard posted to challenge each person approaching for the password. Orders are shoot to kill those without the password. Every time you think you've made an advance in security improvements, the scumbags advance another step to overcome it by any means necessary. Used to be security procedures like an alarm system and big dog could deter most d-bags. So the d-bags upped their game by cutting the telephone connection and the alarm wouldn't alert authorities. Then they take the dog out with poisoned meat. Next came wireless alarm notifications and camera systems so the d-bags go whole hog and pull the meter to take out the electrical system, along with your refrigerator and freezer full of food.
There are ways around them pulling the meter.
APC backups for the wifi system and cameras is the way we are going.
41mB0nav5uL._AC_US218_.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are similar to the Xiaofang cheap units out there. I'd be surprised if they aren't running the same firmware.

You can replace the firmware on a Xiaofang with a custom firmware, adding a lot of features and keeping your connections local. With the added RTSP server, you can stream to an NVR like BlueIris or something.

Just search for "your purchased product name" site:github.com on Google. It will generally get you to the hacks available for a device.

I've decompiled the binaries on a Yi Home camera (another Xiaomi camera) before, the device itself didn't appear to do anything nefarious. But who knows what they do with their oversight and feeds from your device...
They are similar to the Xiaofang units, but have added security features. Those issues are addressed in the company website.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about a hidden game camera... just turn it on when ya leave. :drunk2:
I have game camera's distributed all through our 3/10 of a mile driveway. Get them coming and going, but the issue is when your away from home, you don't get notified unless you get one of the cell models, and they are expensive along with the monthly charges.
One of the Ring Units designed for home security is cheaper than the camera and less to buy some cloud storage.
This little cheap unit offers free cloud storage and a mini sd card up to 16 gig to store pics and video's.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are too cheap to be credible as a good camera. I have 2 of these that I have been using for around 2-3 years and they are choice.
https://store.nest.com/product/came...COXwQAvD_BwE&dclid=CP-_z6TIxNoCFY7IwAodYscKgA

Like I said, these cheap ones are for testing. We had an expensive unit before and it wouldn't sync with the provider we were using at the time.
I don't want to spend a lot of $$ to do another test and hassle with customer service and the return process.
We are going with the Ring outdoor floodlight system with battery backup if this works out. Got a notification that they were shipped today.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are too cheap to be credible as a good camera. I have 2 of these that I have been using for around 2-3 years and they are choice.
https://store.nest.com/product/came...COXwQAvD_BwE&dclid=CP-_z6TIxNoCFY7IwAodYscKgA

The Chinese companies like Xiaomi have been bird dogging the premium companies like GoPro, Nest, Ring, Garmin, LG Innotek, etc. They even make what appears to be a pretty a good mirrorless camera, attacking some of the premium markets for mirrorless.

Latest posts

Top Bottom