Cheapest berm retainer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheapest??? 1-row of silt fence around base of pile,
and/or,
old mulch hay bermed up around base of pile, and spread more hay on it (weeds grass will eventually grow on it).
Maybe an OSA buddy would have some cheap mulch hay????

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still down with tires or some kind of slip cast wall like @Roy14 said in post #18 .
Those are probably the cheapest ways to get a solid vertical wall that can hold up your berm.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still down with tires or some kind of slip cast wall like @Roy14 said in post #18 .
Those are probably the cheapest ways to get a solid vertical wall that can hold up your berm.
I’ve thought about using tires as well. I’m not trying to sound like a tree hugger, but I do have concerns on how it would affect farm land or livestock. I haven’t studied it enough to make an education decision, but I think it’s something that should be considered. Of course, several factors come into play such as how many tires would be used and the type of land where the berm will be built. Just something to think about.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Another solution would be Hescos and run the berm up against them once they are filled. They're a little spendy and you have to find them surplus but you can make them with galvanized pigwire fence and heavy duty weed fabric. There are a few tutorials out there.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another solution would be Hescos and run the berm up against them once they are filled. They're a little spendy and you have to find them surplus but you can make them with galvanized pigwire fence and heavy duty weed fabric. There are a few tutorials out there.
This would be ideal. I want a compound like they used overseas. I forgot where, but I have seen a commercial range that used them as exterior perimeter and inside division for the separate parts of the range. They are big and sturdy. It would help to have a front end loader to fill and move them...and some privates for support

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about using ag bags filled with dirt?

I’ve thought about using tires as well. I’m not trying to sound like a tree hugger, but I do have concerns on how it would affect farm land or livestock. I haven’t studied it enough to make an education decision, but I think it’s something that should be considered. Of course, several factors come into play such as how many tires would be used and the type of land where the berm will be built. Just something to think about.
Tires and rammed have been used for years for earth ship construction. I know tires are pretty toxic but I would be more concerned about the lead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom