New home foundation issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a footing? Can you poke a rod, rebarb, down that hole you show in the picture and see if there is concrete under the stem wall.

I am not a builder but i thought a footing was required for city inspection to buy off on a build.

If there is a footing, then one or two doors sticking and even some small cracks in the sheetrock, and cracks in the stemwall is not unusual in OK during a hot summer much less this extremely hot and dry summer. It would be nice if all new houses did not settle but they do.

To me, a recommendation for a retaining wall, means the engineers believe your house will eventually settle/slip in a particular direction. I do not know if a warranty will address this, probably not.

In my neighborhood, most houses have settled to the west as they were build on a gradual slope down to the west. lots were filled to make them level but this dirt/foundation/stem walls all shifted to the west. About 70% of houses have had to be peered, either because they were slipping away or was required as a condition of selling them.

If your warranty covers peering, then get a structural engineer to say it needs peering, present this finding to the builder telling him he has 15 days to respond. Stay on top of this. I do not know this builder and do not want to say anything bad about him. That being said, you may have to fight like a pitbull to get anything done. Spending a few hundred dollars now is better than footing the entire bill of peering which could be - what $8000 - $18,000

My house has 17 peers. it was peered when I bought it. This is a good thing. But this summer my back door, front door, and one bedroom door are sticking and I have a couple of new cracks in the sheetrock. I know my house is not going very far but with this extremely dry weather this is not uncommon.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
take a further out shot for us. what kind of grade is on that side of the house?? is that the footing completely exposed..? The bickers set the bricks on the footings i believe, so to me that looks like the bottom of your footing. Without better pics of the grade i would say you need a stem wall or some peering or both. Is it a pretension slab?

disclaimer: i dont do concrete work or build houses for a living.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pictures appear to be the footing, as mentioned above support the entire weight of the house. My first thought is the footing does not appear to be below the frost line, which is usually a depth of 12" minimum, but more likely 18". If the footing is not below the frost line it will move with the freezing/unfreezing of the ground and will definitely cause problems.

Can you see the footing all around the house?

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To start a paper trail, request the builder and the "Oklahoma council of neighborhoods" provide you a response to your issues in a letter or email. This is documentation that can be used as evidence in case you need to file suit.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both are trying to cover themselves from additional expenses to repair this and in the "Oklahoma council of neighborhoods" case, is trying to advert a potential public announcement of their incompetence. If you do not get anywhere on your own send a letter to the Oklahoma Attorney General and copy both the builder and the OCON

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My house has footing with integral piers that go down about 24" below the bottom of the footing. I learned this because I STILL had to have Olshan's jack the west side of my house. They discovered them when they dug in to install their piers and said the "well, at least they tried to do it right". They also said soaker hoses are a must in Oklahoma. Yours looks like it needs filled and soaker hoses used. My next door neighbor got away with just using soaker hoses. His went back to where the windows and doors weren't binding. You might try it, but from the looks of it, that ain't gonna cut it.

Get your own engineer and start sending those certified letters now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom