Child custody

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboswell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the last 15 years, My wife has been appointed by the courts in Tulsa and several bordering county domestic court districts to serve in various capacities on cases like this.

OP background fact pattern is common, but tribal court is not something I have ever heard her mention. But self representation is foolish at best.

Domestic custody matters are some of the most difficult waters to navigate. Having the right team in place is the only way to improve the situation and it starts with an experienced domestic attorney, but that isn't the only professional that will have to be retained and paid. Engaging a custody evaluator before a good attorney leading the effort sounds from what I've learned over the years as a decompression sounding board from my spouse, sounds like putting cart before the horse.

The process is expensive, but even more so when making tactical mistakes which will have to repeated again in the future. The right unbiased team which the petitioner and attorney can request, is the only combo that seems to be impactful. Buy once, cry once is applicable. Agreeing to tribal court was short sighted and an effort to save money, a decision that will be a very expensive learning experience.

and being lucky enough to get a competent judge.

But as obvious as it is that the loser shouldn't have unfettered or unsupervised access to the kid, non compliance of a state court custody order is against the law in a county court. Noncompliance usually backfires even with the best intentions and seemingly undeniable justification. Better for a good lawyer to effect an emergency temporary protective order.

Those pro's that know how to use DHS to support their efforts can actually derive some benefit from DHS case workers. But you have to drop a trail of breadcrumbs to help them find the destination.

Some of the comments from other posters have merit, others are emotional and devoid of knowledge as to how the real world works. Best of intentions but will harm not help your sisters situation.

Good luck as it sounds like the tribal judge is just putting his time in and doesn't have the beans to protect the child. Hopefully your sister can get this moved to county court. Be prepared for a long rough road, but the sacrifice and expense will be well worth it.

You can't imagine the sense of fulfillment for my wife or pride for me, when some teenager or young adult or parent screams my wife's name and runs up throwing their arms around her neck hugging and thanking her for saving their life or getting them out of dangerous and damaging situations from years earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom