Childhood Christmas Memories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'll start....

Sparkly dog turds --- after the dog would always eat tinsel from the Christmas tree! Grandma's homemade candy would be a close second.

I know, I know, I must be 'wired' differently............

:pms2:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Putting a concussion egg on the sister's head with the radio flyer sled. It was one helluva knot.🤣 she ended up becoming a brain damaged obammy loving liberal that voted for joe. So I no longer feel any guilt 🤣 . MERRY CHRISTMAS. 😁

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We were just talking about this with my mother. One year back in the day when I was in junior high I called the radio station over and over for them to play Grandma Got Ran over by a Reindeer. Gosh, my grandmother was pi$$%@ at me. I bet they played it ten times on Christmas Eve from me calling over and over.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our mother taught school, so she was always off during Christmas break, so we as a family would do large jigsaw puzzles and play lots of board games, such as Monopoly. Also, our mother did a great deal of baking of cookies, pies and pastries over the holidays.

My father's mother was from Sweden and so over the Christmas and New Years we would have lot's of traditional Swedish type foods, such as pickled herring, smoked whitefish, Swedish pancakes, lingonberry sauce, potato sausage, Swedish pastries, rye crisp crackers, and other Swedish type foods.

We lived in Northeast Kansas and my father would drive to Kansas City, Mo where there was a Swedish grocery store and purchase lots of Swedish type foods.

Often times it was cold enough over Christmas break we would go ice skating on local ponds and snow sledding.

Fond memories!

Merry Christmas to all!

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you said central Kansas I would have bet it was Lindsburg.
Been to Lindsburg, KS and Scadia, KS and Norway, KS. There are a fair number of Swedes, Norwegians, Scandinavians and Germans in Western Kansas. Same holds true for Nebraska, Minnesota, North Dakota, etc.
They all migrated to the USA and many became great farmers growing lots of wheat.(bread basket).

When I was younger I worked for Missouri Pacific Railroad and worked in Central and Western Kansas. Many of the small towns had Mom and Pop restaurants ran by people of Swedish, Norwegian and Scandinavian decent. They all had great food. I would guess most are gone and now it's all fast food crap.

I grew up in Atchison, KS in the very northeast part of Kansas right on the Missouri river.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Christmas Eve, we went to church and had the lighting of the last Advent candle and a candlelight recession singing Silent Night. Then to grandma's for opening presents. Then Christmas morning we fed the cattle and sheep then more presents at home.

Then either back to grandma's in town for my mom's inlaws and outlaws, about 30 people, or to Fairview to my other grandma's house to see the other inlaws and outlaws, about 20 people,

Feasting on everything from turkey and ham and roast beast to celery with peanut butter and a relish plate and pies and cakes, then football in the yard and ante over or board games while the adults watched football on TV and fell asleep. The younger kids played with farm animal sets, Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs and dolls and tea sets.

Thanksgiving and New Year's Day were a repeat of getting together, board games, card games, football and baseball in the yard, and college games on TV.

That is my upbringing in a nutshell.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom