CNN dominates airports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how many people actually watch tv at the airport anymore?
Couldn't say for sure, but apparently CNN figures it's enough to spend a significant amount of money to put their channel there.

Now what is tough is ignoring the louder-than-needed fox news that many doctors around here insist on having in the waiting room. I don't understand why so many placed insist on having a tv playing all the time. Doctors, restaurants, oil change places.
I see HGTV in more waiting areas than Fox, but I'm glad to see Fox as opposed to the many left-leaning sources.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couldn't say for sure, but apparently CNN figures it's enough to spend a significant amount of money to put their channel there.

I see HGTV in more waiting areas than Fox, but I'm glad to see Fox as opposed to the many left-leaning sources.

depends on how long their contract for and when it was signed. A 20 year deal in 2000 was a much different deal than it would be now for cable news. Plus, CNN likely has a large deal with Hartsfiled, which being in the ATL and one of the largest airports in the world is probably a pretty good outlier. Not to mention it probably gives good spin for advertising viewership numbers. "We reach XX million people daily! And X million of them are travelers!!".

and you can say you're glad it's fox all you want. all that really means is that they are saying the things you want to hear (and not the things you don't). Neither of which are likely actually any closer to the reality of the issue.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
and you can say you're glad it's fox all you want. all that really means is that they are saying the things you want to hear (and not the things you don't). Neither of which are likely actually any closer to the reality of the issue.

It means I'm glad to see another view of the world getting out on the airwaves, and yes, they more closely represent my views, and have stories that I'm interested in.

I get all the left-sided news I can stand from watching tidbits on the nightly news and websites during the day.

I know that even if I watched all the news on all the channels I still wouldn't have the whole story or complete view of anything.

If you're trying to make me feel bad because I watch Fox sometimes, not gonna work.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It means I'm glad to see another view of the world getting out on the airwaves, and yes, they more closely represent my views, and have stories that I'm interested in.

I get all the left-sided news I can stand from watching tidbits on the nightly news and websites during the day.

I know that even if I watched all the news on all the channels I still wouldn't have the whole story or complete view of anything.

If you're trying to make me feel bad because I watch Fox sometimes, not gonna work.
Some cant tell the difference between news and commentary. CNN is almost all commentary

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

i'm not trying to make you feel bad at all. There are a lot of people who watch fox and a lot of people who watch cnn. But if either is the sole place someone gets their news then they are very misinformed (as are people who get enough 'news' at the airports to matter to their world view).

Frankly i think 24 hour cable news is almost completely commentary (and crap), but the people out there that live in echo chambers will never admit to it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We need a government regulation to ensure free access to media in the airport by god!

More Government!!!!
I don't know if its more government, but there should be options out there for folks that don't agree with their politics. We have an option to change the channel at home. Why not at an airport or subway terminal?
How would you solve the issue?

Latest posts

Top Bottom