Coburn getting ready to sell us out..!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WTF is this guy thinking..?

Link...!

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) is working with Democratic senators on a bill that would mandate background checks for all gun buyers, with some limited exceptions.

In an interview Friday with a Tulsa television station, Coburn said he is working with Sens. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Joe Manchin III (D-W. Va.) on plans to keep weapons away from criminals and the mentally ill.

Coburn’s office didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment, but other Senate aides familiar with the negotiations confirmed his involvement. If a deal involving Coburn pans out, his ruby-red Republican reputation would lend significantly to any bipartisan effort to draft gun-control legislation.

“I think there’s lots of good things that can happen in terms of mental health screening and checks,” Coburn told KRMG-TV Friday. “If you transfer your car, you have to have a license to transfer, it has to go through that. That’s a responsibility of freedom. I have no problems with us making sure that we don’t allow guns to get in the hands of either felons, or people who are a danger to themselves or other people. … I’m willing to work with Manchin and Schumer on that, and going to.”

Manchin, a moderate Democrat with an “A” rating from the National Rifle Association, has also recruited his close friend, Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), to help with the background check legislation. Kirk, who is much more moderate than Coburn and hails from a state suffering from urban gun violence, also plans to unveil legislation next week with Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) to make illegal gun trafficking a federal crime.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he's doing this, it means he doesn't plan to run for re-election. He's done and finished if he does. I'll be contacting his office 1st thing Monday morning.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to be strongly opposed to this but after a thread on OSA a couple weeks back I've softened a bit. With the exception of family transfers I could be convinced every sale could stand a NCIS.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to be strongly opposed to this but after a thread on OSA a couple weeks back I've softened a bit. With the exception of family transfers I could be convinced every sale could stand a NCIS.

Ask yourself: do you believe in the right "keep and bear arms" or a privilege?

If you believe it's a privilege - it does make sense that only Licensed people should be able to transfer firearms via Federal Approval (aka NICS).

I believe that most people read the Bill of Rights a bit more literally.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coburn (and the NRA) have pressed in the past to improve the instant check system. To make all state records feed into the system correctly. And to make changes to the mental health section to make sure that a returning veteran with bad dreams can seek professional help and not worry that a PTSD diagnosis will mean no legal gun ownership for life.

Agreeing to work on things like that is a long way from "selling us out." Considering his past efforts, "I'll believe it when I see it."

As far as reelection goes, that's a true fact. He said a long time ago that this was his final term. He wants to go back to his medical practice full time. He firmly believes that political office should be a "time of service" and not a lifetime career. Another thing I respect from him.

Let's try to spend our time attacking our enemies not our friends. He's always been a friend. Big time.

Gregg

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Universal background checks or private non-family background checks are a real and concrete step towards universal registration. Once universal registration is place, confiscation becomes much more feasible.

If you believe otherwise, let's hear your argument.

marshalldylan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my young life, I've already seen too much erosion of the bill of rights. Even this scares me now. Coburn would do well to stay away from the likes of Schumer. Call his office people.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Universal background checks or private non-family background checks are a real and concrete step towards universal registration. Once universal registration is place, confiscation becomes much more feasible.

If you believe otherwise, let's hear your argument.
OK, I'll play along.

Why would the UBC be any more dangerous than the background check we have already today?

marshalldylan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Schumer once came to my old employer's office in manhattan to celebrate how the company was doing well and how great it was to have employed Americans...only that 95% of the office was from outside the US and working on visa. What a dirty politician, sorry for the redundancy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom