Coffee snobbery ITT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why spoil good coffee dumping sugar and cream (milk in it)?!?!? I take mine black........ all the way!!

I put Irish whiskey in mine every now and then but I haven't got any good beans in a while so I have been drinking maxwell house I ordered a new batch of Italian roast but is hasn't came in yet and I normally drink that black sometimes it gets some sugar.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Toddy Cold Brew System turns even Walmart Value brand coffee into stuff that's better than anything you can buy over the counter. There's really nothing quite like it. But they're a lot of work to use. A Bodum Coffee Press does almost as good a job with a lot less hassle. But still, the Toddy system turns out the best tasting coffee you'll ever have. If you're cooking gourmet coffee grind in a regular coffee maker you're ruining it.

I have one of these (Christmas gift) and the coffee is good but it's so much work I normally just drip-brew it. Also, it's really best if you grind the beans really course and my grinder got ruined by the aforementioned worthless ex-girlfriend so I can't do that anymore.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whewww, I'm glad to hear this. I was beginning to question my manhood. Everytime I've stopped for a cup, I'd take a sip and as always, it was bitter and burnt tasting. Now I know why. I was beginning to think something was wrong with me.

I got an Americano at a Starbucks once out of habit. I couldn't finish it. It tasted like someone had emptied an ashtray into a coffee filter and brewed it.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Note: I use an AeroPress coffee maker, it's a French Press style device that doesn't sear the grounds (which drip coffee makers do with boiling water, which releases chlorine into your drink, which gives coffee that bitter taste).

If a guy doesn't want to go to the trouble of using a press-style maker and keeps his drip maker (Braun cheapie), can you just use distilled (or other type of) water to avoid what you're describing? I've bought all kinds of coffee (Dunkin', Starbucks, etc) and they never come out tasting like you'd buy it in the retail store.

And I guess I'm the opposite of a coffee snob, cuz I probably drink 60 oz's of 7-11 coffee everyday with 2 Equal's and a shot of Hazelnut! And I don't think I'm alone. They sell a butt-load of coffee everyday.

bulletbiter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of French Press coffee. A slightly course grind in a burr grinder with water that has been off of boil for a few seconds and left to sit in the press for 4 minutes yields an awesome cup of coffee. You will see the oil from the coffee beans that make it silky smooth.

I'm going to try the cold filter process soon. Another option is the Kuerig coffee maker. This, along with a travel mug, has single-handedly saved me SO much money because I have stopped going to coffee shops entirely. I was pleasantly surprised to see bean oil in my Kuerig coffee when I first made a cup. Yes, the cost of Kcups can seem a bit high (approx 50 cents for each one), but it sure beats a dollar at a gas station and $3-$5 at a coffee shop. The variety is great (over 200 different coffees so far). There is also an adapter that you can fill with your own coffee, so the price per cup drops quickly. Just make sure you burr grind so you can still get quality flavor.

Anyone try the siphon coffee maker? Expensive but cool looking.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been drinking 8 O'clock whole bean Columbian lately. I got one of the Mr. Coffee grinders from Walmart and been using it for over a year now. I just can't do coffee now unless it's whole bean. It's night and day better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom