Cold shooting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone down for some shooting, 😁 it's a lovely 4 degrees with a -19 windchill. It'd be wonderful day to practice wind holds. You might not hear the ping of the steel thru the howling wind but you might see the hits if you're goggles aren't fogged up.
Glocks will disintegrate if you try ro shoot them in this weather.

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I urge everyone to try it. If you live where you can toss on jeans, boots and a shirt. Grab your home gun or what you’d grab in the need. Run outside and walk around in 30 degrees for 30 minutes or so and see if you can still hit as if you are not freezing. I tried it today, this late eve. I froze my ass off and could not hit near as if warm. I guess ya can do it without shooting, just watch your sights shake like young tata’s!

I was raised on a farm, milked cows etc etc. Drilled Water Wells and Dozer work, always outdoors, oil field never worked indoors in my life.. The cold is getting to me as I age. Any you all notice that.

I’ve never been this old before! LOL!
Yes Sir! 49 years in the Oilfield and I took lots of my Cold weather stuff I have kept and collected over the years with me. Drilling Rigs in The Abilene Tx are are not made for cold weather and the hands are climated to warmer temperatures also. I went to stay a few days with a Son of mine that is a Petroleum Engineer but prefers being at the Drilling sight. Thursday morning those extra coveralls, gloves hard hat liners, face and neck warmers were a happy sight to the rig hands. I just give them my stuff and made a few people happy campers. I couldnt be happier to see my stuff being used instead of sitting in boxes doing nothing. Yes, I couldnt hardly make myself pee out the back door in the froze up trailer house we were in! No tarps or wind guards on the pits! I made one quick trip around the rig and up to the top dog house once and that was all I needed. I promised my self 5 yrs ago I would never work from November until February again and now I remember why!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes Sir! 49 years in the Oilfield and I took lots of my Cold weather stuff I have kept and collected over the years with me. Drilling Rigs in The Abilene Tx are are not made for cold weather and the hands are climated to warmer temperatures also. I went to stay a few days with a Son of mine that is a Petroleum Engineer but prefers being at the Drilling sight. Thursday morning those extra coveralls, gloves hard hat liners, face and neck warmers were a happy sight to the rig hands. I just give them my stuff and made a few people happy campers. I couldnt be happier to see my stuff being used instead of sitting in boxes doing nothing. Yes, I couldnt hardly make myself pee out the back door in the froze up trailer house we were in! No tarps or wind guards on the pits! I made one quick trip around the rig and up to the top dog house once and that was all I needed. I promised my self 5 yrs ago I would never work from November until February again and now I remember why!

Good write! Stacking out at 8* and winds at steady 20 and gusts higher at 2:35 in the AM. I never faced the cold and the danger of that all night in those temps as on the Fire Dept, sure it was Dangerous, but the danger and conditions never since leaving the rig. And I grew up on a Water Well Drilling machine. Great memories are awesome now! No regrets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom