Coleman Lantern Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't know anyone still used fuel lanterns. QUOTE]

Maybe just nostalgia, but I still use mine. I don't know if its a husbands tale or what, but the story has always been that a coleman lantern that runs on fuel puts out light in the frequency that will show blood better for trailing after dark.
That may be total bull hockey but if some of the people that might know a little of the science behind that type of stuff will post, we might all learn a lesson or maybe dispel a myth.:D

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't know anyone still used fuel lanterns. QUOTE]

Maybe just nostalgia, but I still use mine. I don't know if its a husbands tale or what, but the story has always been that a coleman lantern that runs on fuel puts out light in the frequency that will show blood better for trailing after dark.
That may be total bull hockey but if some of the people that might know a little of the science behind that type of stuff will post, we might all learn a lesson or maybe dispel a myth.:D

Probably some truth to it. I have carried a few different flashlights and I have a super bright white LED light that put out amazing light but more or less whited out the blood. Where a krypton bulb that had a more yellowish appearance would make it show up sometimes up to 8 feet in front of me.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably some truth to it. I have carried a few different flashlights and I have a super bright white LED light that put out amazing light but more or less whited out the blood. Where a krypton bulb that had a more yellowish appearance would make it show up sometimes up to 8 feet in front of me.

I am bringing this up again. Because in the last 2 weeks, we recovered 1 doe and 1 pig after dark. I had 3 LED lights and neither allowed the blood trail to be seen. I was able to illuminate the blood trail with truck headlights. We found both animals from seeing direction of travel and sound of falling after shot. Both were archery kills. I ordered another battery pack for my Mag Light recharger flash light, as the other bit the dust.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do swich to a new dual fuel, keep in mind that you can usually recover some good money from the older ones to help offset the cost. I sold a 60s vintage one on eBay a while back and had strong bids with it ending around $50. Also for some reason, people in Japan LOVE collecting the things. Go figure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom