Coleman gurus, I could use some guidance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a good thought, and definitely a solution to one of my problems, but I still have to worry about extreme cold.
Wouldn't you keeping the propane cans where you sleep keep them warm enough to still work? If not, you could put the little propanes in an old sleeping bag or something. I've been in a pop up camper where all water and such froze but was still able to light the propane stove to heat up water/snow to pour into the drains.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll let you in on a little known fact. All the Coleman gas lanterns are dual fuel. Stick with white gas and you'll have less problems.
Personally I like the 413 size stoves. It's a double burner like the 425 but wider for larger pans.
426 triple burner is big and heavy. Let me gather some up and I'll get some pictures side by side. I can fix you up with lantern and stove but shipping is crazy .

Last edited:

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Edited numbers on previous post.
425 is smallest 413 is medium and 426 is largest.
IMG_20221111_163057657.jpg
IMG_20221111_162836177.jpg
IMG_20221111_162756442.jpg

For lanterns that you'll probably run across not all of them are designed to be adjustable. The old 220-228 ones are not. While you might fiddle with the cleaning lever to restrict flow , it wasn't designed for that.
I don't have much knowledge on the modern stuff but the 288 , clx , 290 I think are adjustable.
You can find out just about anything you would want to know on Coleman collectors forum.
Don't forget the Coleman single burner stoves are handy too. The 502 is pretty bulletproof as far as simplicity and being able to troubleshoot.
I think the 220E lantern is easier to disassemble and work on than anything that came afterwards.
I have a few 220F lanterns . I'd stay away from the military 252 lanterns as they use a disposable generator and are known to be loud and finicky.
IMG_20221111_163230423.jpg
IMG_20221111_163320387.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@dennishoddy , that 425 in the front is the stove that was with the lantern I posted. Looks brand new.
It certainly does. Heck of a collection you have there.
To answer another comment above, I like the leather plungers to pump pressure. Didn't know they had gone plastic. We got caught out once with the leather getting dry and not pumping. Tried messaging it to get it soft again but it still didn't work.
Finally thought about pulling the dipstick on the vehicle and using some oil from there. Worked like a champ. Softened the leather up and it pumped.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is best if you're able to buy in person so you can inspect the overall condition. Especially for pinholes in the tank. It is not advised to fix pinholes in a tank that will be under pressure . You don't want a fuel leak with gas spewing out especially while in use.
Dirt dauber and spiders like to make the air tubes in lanterns their home while stored.
Pump gas makes a nasty mess in the tanks when left for extended time. White gas doesn't.
Garage sale/ flea market , estate sales are good places to buy used.
If the globe is broken factor the price of a replacement in. Usually a new cap seal will be need if the lantern or stove has any age. Leather pump cups are best for cold weather. The plastic ones get cold and don't seal well. Plus as was mentioned, motor oil works in a pinch for the leather pump cup to get it pliable again.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll let you in on a little known fact. All the Coleman gas lanterns are dual fuel. Stick with white gas and you'll have less problems.
Personally I like the 413 size stoves. It's a double burner like the 425 but wider for larger pans.
426 triple burner is big and heavy. Let me gather some up and I'll get some pictures side by side. I can fix you up with lantern and stove but shipping is crazy .
How far SE are you? I go out that way for hunting and fishing a lot, gonna be going east tomorrow to do some scouting for a day or two I think. I'd rather buy a stove and lantern off a member here than jump through hoops for questionable crap on facebook or craigslist.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 7 Coleman lanterns and 2 stoves. All are 30+ years old. The newest , a dual fuel lantern. The others are estate sale, garage sale, pawn shop finds.

Even at $100, I paid nowhere that on any, it comes out to $3 / yr.

They are single and double mantle, big hat and small hat, green, brown, red and silver. A double and triple burner stove.

I don't put gasoline in any of them.

Go old school and start searching.

Latest posts

Top Bottom