Colorado Health Care Cooperative ... why can't we have this in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where Do I Start?

First, many good thoughts and opinions. I respect all and disagree with some. I have worked in health care for a long while and base my opinions on experiance and basic facts that affect this issue.
Second, America has the best healthcare in the world, but a very cloudy health insurance system. Costs in healthcare have increased due longer life expectancy, new technology, the need for increased number of trained staff, and a lack of personal respnibility to be healthy, etc. You cannot expect a heathcare system to provide a robotic hysterectomy, total hip replacement and multiple procedures on a seventy year old women that will now live until one hundred in extended hospice care ...... for the same price that a Dr. in 1940 would give some asprin and recomend moving in with her children. WE (all of us) expect alot for a little.
Third, the problem with the "Obamacare" health market or co-op is not the existance of that market itself. Republicans and even Dems have questioned why law prohibits insurance companies to create that market nation wide for years! The problem is that the federal government is in escence creating their own insurance provider. The Feds coverage will unfairly compete with privite companies. The Fed Gov is the authority that approves FDA drugs, grants hospitial licenses, OSHA approval, ETC. This Gov is now at the "insurance" healthcare market to bargin with healthcare providers (hospitials, Dr, drug companies). Who do you think gets listened to or with rule that market. Will other insurance be able to compete? No! The open healthcare market only works if the Fed is not involved.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Republicans and even Dems have questioned why law prohibits insurance companies to create that market nation wide for years!

That's a big one right there. The commerce clause that the federal government uses as an excuse to run everything in your life was put in place so the federal government could regulate (which back then meant make regular) trade between the states. It was intended to promote fair trade between the states and prevent things such as states placing tariffs on each other. And the one area where trade needs to be made regular is insurance yet the feds do nothing.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Republicans and even Dems have questioned why law prohibits insurance companies to create that market nation wide for years!
Insurance companies are regulated at the state level by state authorities like the OK state insurance commission. A nation wide health insurance market would require regulation at the federal level (one state cannot regulate business in another state) and state governors and legislatures are not keen to hand over regulatory authority to the feds. . This goes into more detail: http://aspe.hhs.gov/health/reports/08/reginsure/report.pdf

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
here's some disturbing charts showing outrageous prices charged for heathcare in America. besides being higher than anywhere else in the world for the same thing. prices are displayed as ranges due to WILD ranges in prices charged.

why is it the rest of the world uses a pay scale for heathcare that pretty everyone pays the same?
vs in the USA prices are multiplied for someone that has no insurance vs prices negotiated by insurance companies.

I've only loaded a few of the graphs... go here for rest
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ow-americas-health-care-prices-are-ludicrous/

-------------------

21 graphs that show America’s health-care prices are ludicrous

Every year, the International Federation of Health Plans — a global insurance trade association that includes more than 100 insurers in 25 countries — releases survey data showing the prices that insurers are actually paying for different drugs, devices, and medical services in different countries. And every year, the data is shocking.

The IFHP just released the data for 2012. And yes, once again, the numbers are shocking.

This is the fundamental fact of American health care: We pay much, much more than other countries do for the exact same things. For a detailed explanation of why, see this article. But this post isn’t about the why. It’s about the prices, and the graphs.

One note: Prices in the United States are expressed as a range. There’s a reason for that. In other countries, prices are set centrally and most everyone, no matter their region or insurance arrangement, pays pretty close to the same amount. In the United States, each insurer negotiates its own prices, and different insurers end up paying wildly different amounts. That’s what Steven Brill’s explosive article was about, and it’s why you see U.S. prices expressed as a range rather than a single number.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_angiogram_800x553.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_office_visit_800x576.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_angioplasty_800x572.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_bypass_surgery_800x568.jpg

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! That's awesome. That means that I can invest in healthcare corporations and get rich!

Show me the healthcare companies out there that are significantly beating the S&P. The government giveth and the government taketh away.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! That's awesome. That means that I can invest in healthcare corporations and get rich!

Show me the healthcare companies out there that are significantly beating the S&P.

Here ya go

The U.S. stock market will be hard-pressed to top its first-quarter performance.

The Dow Jones industrial average rose 1,474.40 points, or 11.25 percent from Dec. 31 until March 28. The Standard & Poor's 500 index also surpassed its nominal all-time high close on Thursday, having climbed 10 percent, or 143 points during the quarter.
At first, I thought it was strange to see Universal Health Services Inc., which saw its shares rise 32.1 percent, rank as the third-best performer behind Globus Medical. But it turns out that hospital stocks in general had a solid quarter, with the 13-member Morgan Stanley Health Care Provider Index up 22 percent.
http://articles.philly.com/2013-03-...h-services-inc-lincoln-national-corp-phh-corp

Glad I could help.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, the old moving goal post.

The attached shows Vanguards health care index fund compared to the S&P for the last 10 years.
That's as far back as the chart will go.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 106

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hobbes find me a platinum miner that's outperformed the S&P for 5 years.

Also find me three insurance companies that didn't tank in the 2008 crisis and have performed well since, then follow that up with a stock that has paid yearly 5%+ dividends since 1992.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom