Combat Rifle Optics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I didn't see an optics forum so I decided to post this question here since it pertains to my rifle. I am in the market for a scope to put on my FAL and I am kind of torn between three options.
1) I really like the Burris 2-7x35 with the ballistic plex reticle. It is very user friendly with the 7.62 and utterly simple. However it is just a hunting scope and doesn't really have a place on a combat rifle (some would say), but a scope is a scope after all.
2) Russian POSP with a weaver base and a dragunov range finder. This scope has a lot of great options, the least of which isn't the built in rangefinder. Its illuminated, it comes with mounts attached to the scope (maintains zero better), and if my rifle ever breaks the scope could double as a club. However it was built by Russians and so has some odd quirks about it (if you adjust the windage a certain way the reticle actually moves...)
3)Suck it up and save for an ACOG...I know that the ACOG is great, but I like to go against the grain.

Have any of you done something like this before? I know my FAL isn't going to be a tack driver but it is minute of bad guy out to 500 meters and want to put a scope on it that will give me some help out to that range, so I'm trying to avoid putting a really high dollar scope on it. Besides the ACOG, the only other pricey scope I have considered is the IOR M1 at DSArms

Let me know what you think, and thanks for all the help!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been down exactly this same road myslf. I wanted a scope with a rangefinding reticle and BDC for my .308 battle rifle.

I've heard on several forums from several people who have tried it that the POSP's are great with the russian side mount, but they kind of jerry rigged the weaver mount on them. The scopes are tough as nails, but they say the weaver mounts, which aren't original mil spec equipment, tend to break easily with recoil. Plus they scuff up your rails, and don't sit the scope exactly level.

I have one of the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 scopes with the BDC. The BDC is pretty good, but it only goes out to 500 yards, and it has no rangefinding feature (other than finding the measurements of different parts of your reticle in MOA and comparing the target to it). They're pretty good glass, I thought... I like how bright they are.

I ended up springing for the ACOG TA-55A (the big 5.5x one), and I love it. It has the best reticle design I have ever seen for a battle rifle, and makes it lightning quick to estimate range to target and get off a shot that is likely to hit somewhere on a man-sized target. Plus, it has the dual illuminated chevron aiming point that covers your battle-sight zero... if the target is as big as the chevron or bigger, just put it on him and squeeze and you'll get a hit. Plus you can use it as a non-magnified optic for close range, by looking through it with both eyes open... it really works! The BDC is set for standard 147 grain ball. It is also the clearest and most high-quality scope I have ever looked through, and its easy to see targets even in low light. Plus you can't break it, and it doesn't use batteries. Basically, you can't do any better for a battle rifle optic than an ACOG. I found one for under $1200 new, when they usually go for $1500, so I had to grab it. Mounting it on my M1A took a little doing, since they're set up for a flat-top AR, but I found a way that works. It would work better on a FAL I would think.

And don't sell your FAL short... if you do your part, that's an 800 yard rifle, at least. You just need to come to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic and learn how to use it to its full potential! ;)

Speaking of, we're having an Appleseed on April 17-18 at the Badlands Tactical range in Granfield, OK... We'll be teaching all the fundamentals of marksmanship, from field positions. If you bring out your FAL, you'll have a chance to shoot it out to 1000 yards on steel silhouettes. We also shoot the Army Qualification Test. Check out the website here: www.appleseedinfo.org/smf.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've checked up on the millet and it seems to be more of a CQB type set up (since there isn't any BDC) whereas the ACOG is set up for both (brightly lit reticle with long eye relief and a good BDC). It sounds like its going to end up being the Burris NOW or I can practice some patience and pick up an ACOG (probably the TA11E) later this year. Choices choices :musketeers: !
I guess I will just have to wait for the ACOG, it will give me time to familiarize myself with the irons.

About the appleseed shoots, I am very interested and would love to attend if I have the time and money this april. It will be a toss up between my mosin nagant and my FAL, I am leaning towards the FAL simply because I don't think my shoulder could handle a full weekend of shooting with that Russian beast. Either way, I am really looking forward to it. :50cal:

Reaction score
I like #1 idea for now... You might very well appreciate the 7 power when shooting past 100 yards. Then save up for an accupoint or acog, either one.

For what it may be worth, the optics I have on what I consider to be potential fighting rifles are:

Nikon omega, 3-9x40 (on a .260 rem)
Sightron S2, 1.5-6x 42mm (on a 5.56x45mm)

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Millett DMS. For the money it can't be beat IMO. BUT if SHTF or if civil war or whatever, I wouldn't necessarily like it for that. The illumination is useless outside and it's HEAVY. And ACOG would be the optic of choice for me for a battle optic, if I had the cash. Leupold came out with a Mark AR scope and my brother has it. It's also good. Lightweight compared with my Millett but it's a 1 inch tube. Personally I like 30 mm tubes. I may be selling my Millett in the future and upgrading to a trijicon tr-24 Accupoint or something close.

Latest posts

Top Bottom