Coming back after being fired

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you wanted to relocate to TX I have a buddy who is always looking for help. He owns some mobile service trucks and does "travel mechanic work - mostely diesel I think. Pay is good and hes a stand up guy.

I will keep that in mind, I certainly appreciate it. I am not looking to relocate, but occasionally desperate times call for desperate measures.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I recently went through the same thing. I was fired in October and I didn't get another good paying job until January. I was lucky and had a friend whose dad owns his own painting company and he put me to work for a few months (something is better than nothing).

Our backgrounds are very similar. No college, just high school. I learned how to do things by rolling up my sleeves and digging in. I assume this is how you learned as well? I was a mechanic for several years and then made a change to another field of assembly. From there, I went on and learned to be a machinist with the same company, on to lead man and then onto supervisor and then made a transition into a training role for the company. Out of the blue, they decided they didn't need me anymore. It was a big hit to me and my family. Financial loss, loss of friends, feeling of security gone, future plans, betrayal and so on. I dedicated a lot of time to that company and even had my wife start working there and my son in the summer. He was planning on going full time with them and utilizing their college tuition program. As you can see, turmoil. I thought "how could this happen to me". I was severely depressed and thought of myself as a failure. This all was very far from who I am. I started a post on here and a lot of people talked with me and prayed for me. This is a great community with a lot of caring individuals. Don't be afraid to talk to people about this, there's nothing wrong with you. Your brain is just a little mixed up right now. Think back to how you learned your current skill set. You sound like a guy like me who if they put their mind to it, they can learn and accomplish anything.

Once I started my new job, which had nothing to do with my recently deceased job, i ha to learn an entire new skill set. Over the years you have learned a lot of skills that will crossover into many different skill sets. The one that isn't taught is endurance. Sooner or later in life you get hit, he weak stay down...the strong might be dazed by the punch, but they will get back up and start swinging back. Was it frightening, absolutely. This is where family and friends come in huge. Talk to them, stay connected with them and you'll get your mind right and be able to attack this. A good counselor that helped me a lot told me "fake it until you make it". At the time I didn't know what he meant. After a few months, i realized exactly what he was telling me. He was saying, get back in there, put on a smile, give it everything you have because quitting is not an option and sooner or later...everything will work out fine.

This week I started working on getting off my meds. The doctors say you are supposed to ween yourself off of them slowly. Nope, cold turkey for me. I've gone 5 days now without them and I'm doing great. Hang in there and if you need to talk, hit me up anytime.

Thank you, sounds like I'm on the same page you were a while back.

Marines? Active or reserve? Years of service?

Marines, Active 4 years, got out 2012.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Marines, Active 4 years, got out 2012.

I would look into the GI Bill if I were you. I've use all but a month of my total 48 months entitlement getting myself and my wife each a bachelor degree in the process.

Ch 33 (Post 9/11):
Full time (12+ Hours) in class instruction will get 100% of your tuition and fees paid for at an in-state school, $1308/month housing stipend, and up to $1000/year for books and supplies.

There are options for vocational schools and other institutions as well distance learning that have different rates of housing stipend.

You may be eligible for the Ch 30 (MGIB) but it is capped at $1789/month all in.

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill

Chapter 30 - MGIB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Noted, I like how you think. I will def get on that when I get to that point.

Also Dennis, side note: if I am not mistaken you have mentioned in the past that you worked for OGE maybe??
Yes I did. Retired 2 1/2 years ago.
Great company. Go to oge.com and see what jobs they have available.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got fired one time, Mom said it hurt her more than me..... :)

I feel for you. I gave a two week notice at a job and was told to just get out right then. Some of the things that go on are just wrong.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Young, veteran, ambitious, skilled, single/unattached and willing to learn. I wouldn't hesitate to relocate. New experiences, relationships, and contacts are a positive. The time will come when you don't have as many options as you have now.

Having said that. If you can go to school and make ends meet that is the option I would choose. Take chances when you're young and the possible failures are just life lessons that pay dividends later.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Young, veteran, ambitious, skilled, single/unattached and willing to learn. I wouldn't hesitate to relocate. New experiences, relationships, and contacts are a positive. The time will come when you don't have as many options as you have now.

Having said that. If you can go to school and make ends meet that is the option I would choose. Take chances when you're young and the possible failures are just life lessons that pay dividends later.

I had to do this in my 40's with a wife and 2 middle school aged boys. I lived/worked in Phoenix, Seattle, OKC, Austin, Dallas, and back to Austin while my wife and boys stayed home in KC. I flew or drove home as often as I could and they got to fly or drive to me a lot. They got to go places and see things they might never have otherwise (my positive spin). Eventually I got recruited by a very large telecomm company and I now work 4 miles from my house earning just as much as I did on the road. I did what I had to do to keep the money flowing and it got me noticed.

I wouldn't hesitate to look anywhere and everywhere if I were you.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Been fired a few times, it was never fun. I've owned my own business for many years and I am MUCH happier and make several times the money I ever made working for somebody else.

"How did you move into owning your own business? It is something I have considered, I eventually want to get out of being a mechanic, but have no idea where to start. White collar or owning a business, I don't care."

I was 30 and got fired from a job and decided to start my own construction business. I bought a computer, printer, had business cards made up and installed a business line at my house with an answering machine. I started cold calling property management companies, realtors, big corporations, and got in several social networking clubs. My first 11 months in business I only made 15 thousand dollars and told my wife I would start looking for a job. The next month I got a 60 day remodeling project and made a 16 thousand dollar profit. Business was bad the next two years but the 4th year I made $130,000 profit and paid off both vehicles and two business loans. My only debt was my house and I refinanced it on a 15 year loan. My business went up and down over the years and I made some nice money building houses but then lost a lot of money with spec houses during the great recession of 2008. The last couple of years I have done very well and am currently putting a lot of cash in retirement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom