competition practice...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those who have shot with me know that I use a cane to move around. Well, the cane has been kind of a pain in the arse, to say the least.
So, I decided to go with a forearm crutch so that I didn't really have to worry about where it was during a stage.
I've also been practicing the proper reload method since my near-disastrous reloading problems at the match Saturday.

The one problem I have with the crutch is that when I go further back grabbing a mag to reload, it makes the crutch swing wildly, which will affect my aim. I'm going to rotate the mag holders further forward on my belt to see if I can alleviate some of the swing.
Anyhow, here's a video of practice using the crutch and the "proper" reload. I still suck, but not as bad.
[Broken External Image]

What do you think?

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't watch your video because I'm on my phone but I can add that if I was less than mobile I would think about shooting an open gun with a big stick magazine that holds 28+ rounds so reloads would be one per stage at worst. The precision of having a red dot sometimes allows you ro take more difficult shots from afar rather than move all over a stage. Furthermore the compensator can reduce or eliminate recoil which will make you faster shot to shot and help make up for the time lost due to lack of mobility. The downside is that open guns aren't cheap. You are welcome to try my new top of the line Accurate Iron G17 open gun.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's been decided that I'm not going to go with the crutch. No matter where I placed the mag holders, The crutch swing made me hunt for the sight picture too much.
A friend recommended that I try a keychain tether, (you know, like the maintenance man carries his keys on, retractable ones), and connect it to my cane. That way my cane will just hang from my side no matter what. I can't drop it.

gotta find one now.

I would love to have an open gun, but I can't afford it. But what about a ported barrel for mine? anyone know anything about the EFK Fire Dragon 6" barrel? Its got forward-angled comp cuts. I know I'd have to switch divisions, but if it helps, I'm willing to go from the bottom of SS class to the bottom of Open

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you shooting a 9mm Glock? A compensator won't make too much difference at minor power factor.

These are the 170mm Glock extensions. One TF 170mm and one 140mm Dawson base pad would probably do the trick at first. You could also put a Dawson mag well on the gun but then it will be difficult to seat a mag without a base pad.

http://shop.taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=7

Edit: Oops, you mentioned single stack... a SS gun isn't going to get you far in any other division... I'd either just stick with what you're shooting or change guns entirely if that's the case.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you shooting a 9mm Glock? A compensator won't make too much difference at minor power factor.

These are the 170mm Glock extensions. One TF 170mm and one 140mm Dawson base pad would probably do the trick at first. You could also put a Dawson mag well on the gun but then it will be difficult to seat a mag without a base pad.

http://shop.taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=7

Edit: Oops, you mentioned single stack... a SS gun isn't going to get you far in any other division... I'd either just stick with what you're shooting or change guns entirely if that's the case.

yeah, I really don't want to go to open class. I'd just look like an even bigger idiot.:lookaroun

On another note; I went and picked up the janitor retracting keychain thingy. It works like a freaking CHAMP! I'm pumped. I can let go of my cane and it just pops back to my side. Now I just have to test it with mags and holders all around it. Since it keeps the cane low, I don't think I will have a problem with interference (the cane rides at the bottom of my belt line).

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like some kind of small chain or other limiting device on the crutch to keep the crutch from swinging would work. With the position you started in the video would be the maximum swing, connect a short piece of chain from the crutch up to the bottm edge of the arm cuffof even a lanyard (perhaps surgical tubing) from the crutch to your wrist. Either of these would act as a limiting device and shock absorber to limit swinging. The cane on a lanyard would work too, though id it were hung from your belt it might be swinging around and difficult to locate quickly.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like some kind of small chain or other limiting device on the crutch to keep the crutch from swinging would work. With the position you started in the video would be the maximum swing, connect a short piece of chain from the crutch up to the bottm edge of the arm cuffof even a lanyard (perhaps surgical tubing) from the crutch to your wrist. Either of these would act as a limiting device and shock absorber to limit swinging. The cane on a lanyard would work too, though id it were hung from your belt it might be swinging around and difficult to locate quickly.

But with the retracting chain, it pulls right up against my hip and I don't have to worry about it. If I get wild with it, it may turn around (cane backward) but I can still grab it and go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom