Concealed Carry Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never thought of carry insurance. Didn't know it exsisted. My concern is not only the crimminal court but the civil suit brought by the person you shot (if they live) or the family of the person you shot (if you kill the guy). The few instances I've read where someone successfuly goes through a criminal case it cost them $20,000 to $40,000 and lasts 1 1/2 to 2 years. The civil case usually doesn't seem to last as long but if you lose the sky is the limit on what it'll cost you. For me, and it's just my opinion, if someone is stealing my car/boat/bike/whatever I'm not risking financial ruin or 20 years of my life lost in prison over a $10,000 or $15,000 dollar item. I can just file an insurance claim and recoup most of it. They break into my house while we're there, or threaten bodily harm while out in public....that's another matter entirely. Then there's no choice but to defend yourself. You may still wind up in prison (depending on what the DA want's to do) or financial ruin (if you lose the civil suit) but it's just what you had to do. I know the flames are coming, I just hope this time people read the whole post before going on a rampage.

If your shoot is justified criminally in OK, the plaintiffs are barred from filing a tort.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to my insurance company (State Farm), I am covered for any civil litigation under the "reservation of rights" clause; however, there is no specified coverage for a criminal suit.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I used pre-paid legal for 2 years and out of the 3 times I called them it was out of their scope of practice. After that I checked with the BBB and they aren't to fond of them...

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your shoot is justified criminally in OK, the plaintiffs are barred from filing a tort.

So is the qualification of justified based on the court ruling or based on the report filed by the police department?

The reason I ask is the Riverside shooting a few years ago with Gumm. The police report listed it as a justified shooting, but the DA still charged him with a crime.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I understand the law (and I might not), if the DA refuses to file any charges against you, there would be no basis for a civil suit. I'm sure one of our member attorney's can clarify this.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So is the qualification of justified based on the court ruling or based on the report filed by the police department?

The reason I ask is the Riverside shooting a few years ago with Gumm. The police report listed it as a justified shooting, but the DA still charged him with a crime.

Since Gumm entered a guilty plea, I believe that would open him up to civil litigation. Unless of course there was an agreement entered into based on the criminal plea.

It would be either the DA's refusal to file charges or a no true bill from a grand jury that would negate the civil suit. So would a not guilty finding if charged.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pre-Paid Legal provides access to lawyers for advice,help with documents(we just did our wills),etcetc,but you will still have out of pocket expenses for lawyers time in court. We have it thru my wifes office.

I used pre-paid legal for 2 years and out of the 3 times I called them it was out of their scope of practice. After that I checked with the BBB and they aren't to fond of them...

My PPL plan is about $35 a month, I think. They advertise that you get a discount off provided services for offensive action, but that defensive action is covered, meaning if you have charges or civil suit, they will provide legal services. This is how it was billed to me, including vehicular manslaughter charges, so long as you were not DUI or evading at the time of the incident. FYI, 99.9% of your auto insurance policies do not cover this if you kill someone in an accident. Divorce and custody is also not covered.

Anyways, I've used PPL to fight a traffic ticket and write a few letters for me in the past. Never had cause to need other legal representation, but if the BBB has lots of complaints about them, that's interesting. I'd want to know what those complaints were... Positive Discontent, would you care to elaborate a tiny bit (nothing too personal, obviously) as to what specifically they refused to cover for you? If you'd like to PM me instead of putting it out in public, I fully understand, just curious if you could provide a little more info. I plan on calling them to ask about CCW coverage, would like to be "armed" with as much info as possible.

Thanks.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My PPL plan is about $35 a month, I think. They advertise that you get a discount off provided services for offensive action, but that defensive action is covered, meaning if you have charges or civil suit, they will provide legal services. This is how it was billed to me, including vehicular manslaughter charges, so long as you were not DUI or evading at the time of the incident. FYI, 99.9% of your auto insurance policies do not cover this if you kill someone in an accident. Divorce and custody is also not covered.

Anyways, I've used PPL to fight a traffic ticket and write a few letters for me in the past. Never had cause to need other legal representation, but if the BBB has lots of complaints about them, that's interesting. I'd want to know what those complaints were... Positive Discontent, would you care to elaborate a tiny bit (nothing too personal, obviously) as to what specifically they refused to cover for you? If you'd like to PM me instead of putting it out in public, I fully understand, just curious if you could provide a little more info. I plan on calling them to ask about CCW coverage, would like to be "armed" with as much info as possible.

Thanks.

I called my Insurance provider "Liberty Mutual" and the long time agent have never heard of it. She said she'd look into it and call me today. I'll post an update.

Latest posts

Top Bottom