Considering First Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkillebrew

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need some guidance. I have lived, hunted and shot in this great state for some 50 yrs.

After shooting my LEO son-in-laws Smith and WEsson AR15... I gotta get one of those guns. I had never shot an AR type rifle before, my experience has been mostly bolt and lever guns.

I am a tinkerer, have a pretty good shop set up, have built some knives, done minor firearm repair work... I have the basic skill set I think.

I am very intimidated by all the choices out there, stripped lowers, full lowers, stripped tops... varmit barrels, two stage triggers, single pull...

What I want to build is a good solid rifle, am more interested in poking holes in paper and prarie dogs than urban assault. Might use it for Antelope hunting, 223 is a little light for goat shooting but, I have a couple of other rifles if I decide to go that way. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am a fairly decent shot so weapon accuracy/reliability is something I want to build towards.

Anyhow I need some help knowing what meets my needs. What OK supplier or gun shop can help me make the choices I need to look at, or website or articles.
thank you.
Larry

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might look at this one in the Classifieds. I have seen this rifle, and was there when he was shooting the 60 rounds that he put through it. It does shoot 1MOA at 100 yds. If you are looking for a paper puncher, this isn't bad, and he may work with you a little on the price. I go to OKC all the time and take stuff people sell on here back and forth, and can help if you need it.

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73002

The fun of ARs is they are called a guy's Barbie doll. You can dress them up any way you want. Find one reasonably priced, shoot it for a while, change it to something different, maybe a different caliber upper, etc, and just have fun. Once you start shooting one, you will want some others, and building one just for you is a blast!:D

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stag has a 24" 1&8 stainless bull barrel complete upper that has a guarantee of 1/2 MOA.You will want a LPK with a match trigger or you could get a drop in Timmey,Wilson ect.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a rough idea of what you're looking for. What specific questions do you still have?

lkillebrew

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
specific questions... hmm, well I guess I am really asking for a couple of things.

I want to understand the difference in where to spend money and where to not waste money.

Is there a How to manual, or video, on assembly. I would hate to get it all together and it not work as expected.

thanks,
Larry

Latest posts

Top Bottom