Constitutional Carry (SB 1212) on the OK House floor 4/23

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My definition of “Constitutional Carry” is that any person legally able to own/possess a firearm should be able to, concealed or open if they so desire without fees or permits.

I don’t see that in this new updated version of the law.

Training is up to the individual. I would recommend everyone attend a familiarization class. I’ve seen lots of newbies try to put bullets in a magazine backwards and wave a gun around like a character in an old western movie.

I personally know three people who have shot themselves by careless handling. One lost a finger and one now has a permanent limp.

Go to a class
Join a club
Recreational shooting
Become active in shooting sports

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess that's where I see this bill and the concept of "Constitutional Carry" not married very well. A common argument is that training is not a Constitutional prerequisite for exercising right to bear arms in public. But if you make an exception for military because they have training and may be more responsible, you run into a logical conundrum. If it's a matter of trust, why not maintain the status quo where trustworthiness to carry in public is established by training and a thorough background investigation? Or are we establishing two different ages of majority between military and civilians?

Amen. If it is Constitutional Carry, then having special exemptions or "more rights" built into the bill just for veterans is incongruous and pandering.

Contrary to popular belief, your average 18 year old Private, Airman, or Seaman Apprentice has little to no firearms experience or training beyond that which occurs in a very tightly controlled environment with direct, overlord like, and risk averse supervision. They have even less experience or training in the handling and carrying of those firearms in a public environment. Even those in the combat arms fields are given very little exposure in regards to carrying and handling a firearm in a permissive and civil environment, outside of the constructs of a military conflict....especially not fresh out of AIT grunts.

Some 18 year old Army vehicle mechanic or Infantryman has no more right or need to carry a pistol for self defense off base than does an 18 year old single mother working shift in a crappy part of town to pay her bills.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My definition of “Constitutional Carry” is that any person legally able to own/possess a firearm should be able to, concealed or open if they so desire without fees or permits.
This, plus a removal of a lot of those legal restrictions. A free man is a free man; if he's too dangerous to have a gun, he's too dangerous to be out in public.

Training is up to the individual. I would recommend everyone attend a familiarization class. I’ve seen lots of newbies try to put bullets in a magazine backwards....
To be fair, so did the idiots in HK's marketing department.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I don’t see that in this new updated version of the law.

Training is up to the individual. I would recommend everyone attend a familiarization class. I’ve seen lots of newbies try to put bullets in a magazine backwards and wave a gun around like a character in an old western movie.

I personally know three people who have shot themselves by careless handling. One lost a finger and one now has a permanent limp.

Go to a class
Join a club
Recreational shooting
Become active in shooting sports
It's been nicknamed "constitutional carry by the media and others...lol. Its not the name of the bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom