Constitutional Carry (SB 1212) on the OK House floor 4/23

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stories of gun newbie mistakes, and so on kept coming up with admonishments that anybody wanting to constitutional carry should have some training before being allowed to do so.
I keep hearing about this "training" that everyone received. What training? Is a printed CCW PDF booklet and lobbing 50 rounds at a target 3 ft. away what the Fudds are considering training?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep hearing about this "training" that everyone received. What training? Is a printed CCW PDF booklet and lobbing 50 rounds at a target 3 ft. away what the Fudds are considering training?

Apparently those that felt we needed "training" in order to be permitted to carry a weapon seemed to think that was sufficient. I'm not sure how that really met much of a requirement, myself.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but the way I see it, if it passes you will see two things happen. Anyone 21 or over without any convictions will be allowed to carry a concealed firearm. That include people with nefarious desires that may belong to a group of people, who all identify by wearing the same colors, and LE won't be able to do anything about it. The second would be the loss of reciprocity by many states that currently allow us to carry in their states due to the training received.
I hope you are being sarcastic. Do you really believe that these types of people don’t already carry? There are plenty of people good and bad that currently carry without a license. We don’t need big brother to give us permission to excercise our God given rights. We would still have licensing to deal with other states.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't a big deal. Nothing has changed. Of the fifty states, only a dozen have passed this. There are still many battles to win, and far bigger issues to face. There was hardly any mention of the idea until the bill was introduced. It will come back up again, and we will have another chance to change public perception. We have a lot of PR work to do in the meantime.
I don’t care what you say. This IS a big deal. Our so called republican governor vetoes a pro 2A bill and you say it’s no big deal?? What the heck is wrong with you? I don’t care if only one other state has this. That is of no consequence. Anyone citizens should be able to carry a firearm without a license. That is the way the 2A is written. It doesn’t say shall not be infringed for some people. If you want to say I sound like a snowflake go ahead. I don’t see how being mad because our worthless governor vetoed that bill makes anyone a snowflake.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a member appreciation luncheon and swap meet at the Ponca Gun range Saturday. Of course the veto issue came up.
I was totally shocked at the table I was sitting at that all but me agreed with the veto.
Stories of gun newbie mistakes, and so on kept coming up with admonishments that anybody wanting to constitutional carry should have some training before being allowed to do so.
No matter my protests that the 2A doesn't say that, I couldn't get it past them that the founders didn't write in that training had to be allowed before you could own or possess a firearm, nor that the 12 other states that have constitutional carry have not experience any of the perceived misgivings of the group I was with.
I was pretty disappointed.

It appears a new club logo and shooting vest patch is in order:

2.bp.blogspot.com__sry9aIpkVoA_T9TL_jaGpzI_AAAAAAAAA_U_FrRup2QqMm0_s1600_elmer_fudd.gif

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s very frustrating isn’t it? Nobody in their right mind would argue that training isn’t a good idea but government mandated is a completely different argument. It’s like punishing negligence never occurs to them. I’d argue that if there were real consequences for negligent mishaps people might actually question their ability and either get that training or not carry. I know, it’s a heavy lift that common sense is... :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you meant nobody in their "Right" mind.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a member appreciation luncheon and swap meet at the Ponca Gun range Saturday. Of course the veto issue came up.
I was totally shocked at the table I was sitting at that all but me agreed with the veto.
No matter my protests that the 2A doesn't say that, I couldn't get it past them that the founders didn't write in that training had to be allowed before you could own or possess a firearm, nor that the 12 other states that have constitutional carry have not experience any of the perceived misgivings of the group I was with.
I was pretty disappointed.

Which is proof to me that this was a Fud issue, not a lib one.

There are hordes of people who are still scared of guns in the hands of the average Joe. Heck, Oklahoma has only been a concealed carry state for barely, what?, 20 years? Open carry is much newer. Stand your ground is fairly new, new silencer laws etc...things are changing for the better, it's just not all the way there yet. Instead of just dismissing folks as being gun grabbing libs, we just need to keep setting good examples, and educating folks.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Given that the Oklahoma government has repeatedly proven itself corrupt and unresponsive to implementing laws and measures that are in the best interests of the citizens of the state, it is time to pursue the dissolution of the Oklahoma system of government and actively seek a neighboring state with whom to merge.......Take your pick there are lots of constitutional carry state around us

Enough of this, "I'm with y'all. Vote for me and we'll get it done next year" non-sense. Who believes that? I believe that Oklahoma politicians do what is in their own best interest; namely keeping their place at the feeding trough. Threaten to move their feeding trough to Little Rock and there will be a real response.
Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 7.23.13 AM.png

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t care what you say. This IS a big deal. Our so called republican governor vetoes a pro 2A bill and you say it’s no big deal?? What the heck is wrong with you? I don’t care if only one other state has this. That is of no consequence. Anyone citizens should be able to carry a firearm without a license. That is the way the 2A is written. It doesn’t say shall not be infringed for some people. If you want to say I sound like a snowflake go ahead. I don’t see how being mad because our worthless governor vetoed that bill makes anyone a snowflake.

Tony, we live in a society of rules and regulations because as a society we are lacking in self-control. Virtually every, if not all, laws and regulations were put in place because of that fault in human nature. 2A is very important, but so is the rest of the constitution, and the "shall not be infringed" also applies to life. We are not the only segments of our society, and those we call "anti's" have just as strong a position in this nation as we do. Right now, their side has a pretty strong case. We have shootings everyday, mainly by people who should not have access to weapons for various reasons. When "school" shootings are reported, strong emotions are created because we all love our children, and their right to life shall not be infringed either.

Politicians, whether we like them or not, make their decisions hopefully based on what they believe is the right thing for society. More often than not, those decisions are based on what they believe is the majority view, so they can be reelected.

Rights are a "big deal" and rights also carry responsibilities. We have to work within the system, just as the other side does. It was very encouraging to see so many here calling, emailing, and in many cases visiting in person in efforts to move the bill the way we wanted. We have to do more of that. But the thing we cannot do is to act like what we are portrayed as in the media so often. We must be respectful, and appear that we are responsible. Excess testosterone is not our friend!

Latest posts

Top Bottom