Cool article about the Oklahoma Panhandle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't read the article but i do like to read newspapers from the 1870s and 90s. The cherokee had an agreement that they would be granted a strip of land to new mexico so that they could escape their enemies. Cherokee outlet... reading the papers as they reported the early I.T. O.T. years into territorial and then statehood,there's alot of info on the dawes commission and the opening of lands.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, being that I was born and raised in the Panhandle, I had heard of a lot about the Panhandle, although it was years later before I found out that Texas had to give up part because of the slavery issue.

A number of things weren't mentioned in the article, such as the existence of "Robber's Roost," which was finally breached by the Army using cannon fire. That was in the Black Mesa area of Cimarron County, the county further west than the rest, and Cimarron County was also the epicenter of the Dust Bowl.

Also in the Black Mesa area, dinosaur bones were found east of Kenton. A monument to that discovery, in the form of a dinosaur bone, is in the area where it was found. And, if I remember right, dinosaur tracks were found out in that area as well. Those are on private property, but during the annual "Santa Fe Trail Daze" celebration, tour groups are allowed to go see those. And yes, the Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail goes through Cimarron County.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas gave the Oklahoma panhandle back to US Government after the Missouri Compromise.
It became part of the unassigned territory. Then latter Oklahoma

1716307608907.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When one drives through the panhandle, it's a vast wasteland from the highway.
If one knows where to look, there are definitely some interesting points of interest that are not available anywhere else.
There have been confirmed sightings of mountain lion, bear, elk, rocky mountain sheep, etc.
There is a reason those animals are listed in the ODW hunting regulation as protected species. It's because they are there occasionally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom