Copperhead Bites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! Second dog in two weeks bitten. This sucks. My female yellow lab was bitten last week...her fourth time in her life. Always give her Benadryl and hope for the best. She's was OK in about three days. She's one tough pup. This evening our guard dog a mix breed Pit was bitten. He's not doing so well. Anyone else seeing lots of snakes this spring?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't seen any yet; we usually see lots of snakes, and I'm surprised we haven't seen some copperheads where we live, as we are close to a small creek and some wooded areas. Thankfully none yet. Hope your pooch turns the corner soon.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! Second dog in two weeks bitten. This sucks. My female yellow lab was bitten last week...her fourth time in her life. Always give her Benadryl and hope for the best. She's was OK in about three days. She's one tough pup. This evening our guard dog a mix breed Pit was bitten. He's not doing so well. Anyone else seeing lots of snakes this spring?

With copperheads, Benadryl is a good option, and so is low dose ibuprofen, depending on the dog's weight. Not much else you can do that is really effective. Copperhead bites often look like swelling from a bad wasp sting. Cotton mouths on the other hand, different ball game. I've seen teats rot and have to be cut off milk cows from cotton mouth bites.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
With copperheads, Benadryl is a good option, and so is low dose ibuprofen, depending on the dog's weight. Not much else you can do that is really effective. Copperhead bites often look like swelling from a bad wasp sting. Cotton mouths on the other hand, different ball game. I've seen teats rot and have to be cut off milk cows from cotton mouth bites.

I hate rotten teats - I was scarred from reading old National Geographic mags.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah - seen some of them in that mag that hang low enough to take a Cottonmouth strike.

I was in a port once, I seen some of those low, flat hangers in person....even a snake wouldn't bite those. Unless he was drunk and his buddies dared him. I made $20 btw.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
damnation,
thanks for the heads up so early.
I had to shoot 14 of the darned things last august.
All between my garage and the side porch. Distance of 50 feet.
So I hope its not another bad year

Latest posts

Top Bottom