Cost of Fertilizer and It's Impact

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lhecker51

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just spoke with my brother that is a farmer and branch manager of AgRx. He told me fertilizer and all other ag chems are already up about 100% and they have been notified by suppliers to expect up to a 200% increase in the coming months. Many of the smaller farms are not going to be putting in crops in his area as they will lose money. It does not take much of an education to deduce the impact on produce and meat prices that are coming this summer. We actually do feed the world and this will result in famines overseas and shortages here as well. He is advising folks to plant victory gardens and can their goods. I freeze dry most of my stuff that I put up. Also buy grains, beans, sugar, and honey in bulk now before the panic buying starts. A little each trip. Any thoughts?

Lhecker51

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
it isn't looking good for the farmer/cattlemen. i am interested in your freeze dryer? tell more please?
They are over $3k now. I bought mine over five years ago when it went on sale at Harvest Right. Check the Christmas sales when they are advertised. One could buy a years supply of commercial FD'd food for a family, but I choose to FD home cooked meals and built my stores over time. I cost about $5 to FD two gallon size mylar bags worth in a medium sized unit. I love putting up all the wife's cooking and taking with me when camping and hunting.

Lhecker51

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like **** is getting ready to get real expensive.
already is and yes, if you think it is expensive now, it could double in just a few months. Expense is one thing, shortages are a much bigger risk and that is how violence is triggered. I have been on UN peacekeeping missions and know this from first hand experience. Better to prepare and not need it as they say, and be prepared above all to defend what you have. Unfortunately, dire situations cause many to become absolutely unhinged and serious threats.

A little conversation I had a few years ago with a crew we hired locally for installation work in the southern part of the People's Republic of Dumbphuckistan, formerly known as California. During a break, a conversation got started regarding how they were prepared for a disaster regarding food shortages. More than one of them stated in a non joking manner that all they needed was a gun and that they are not spending money on stocking up. I asked them if they were going to be eating their ammo and they honestly said they will be eating like kings as they will take what they want. Opinions noted and I put them on the no hire list.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Wheat is up to $12.60 today, it all works out the same in the end most years. Cheaper fuel, cheaper fert, cheaper grain prices........High fuel, high fert, high grain prices. Exception this year is that most of the states wheat areas have only received about 20% of its normal rainfall, that will factor in on prices as well though.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's true that we are having a bit of an issue in the US right now. But it's with everything. I feel like there are many influences, such as businesses trying to recoup losses for the year and higher minimum wages having to be paid even to the baristas. Add in the huge number of unemployed and the tax increases to cover them with shortages of everything due to lack of production and you have a perfect storm to drive us into a depression. It may not be bad, but I think it's coming.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My cost of beef production is already up 50%. We are trying to pre position for hay right now but I carried over enough for this summer in a normal rain year. I will keep my harvest and buy some from my neighbor this year. He likely will keep most of his harvest into winter. Not a good sign.

Latest posts

Top Bottom