Cost to process a deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I paid about $80 to have my last one processed. Then of course I paid extra for summer sausage and breakfast sausage. All total it ended up running me around $130. And that's exactly why I'm going to try my hand at doing it myself this year.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Terry's is closest to Yukon but he's the highest in town. Try Larry's in Union city. Seems he's about $60-65 but they all charge $15-25 to skin so I'd skin it first.
I do mine at home unless there's several, then I take them in.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only processer I have been to was Larry's in Union City. Unfortunately I wasn't dropping off a deer I shot. I was deciding should I shoot the doe in my crosshairs or let her pass when I heard a gunshot in the distance. That gunshot produced the deer that went to the processer. When I looked back the doe I was about to shoot was gone like a fart in the wind.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Terry's. While he is the most expensive around, you do get what you pay for with his processing. His taxidermy is another story and would not trust him with trophies.

I think his prices start at $50 for deer under 60lbs $75 for 61-110, $100 for 111+. He adds $25 for skinning.

He does a good job with the processing, bones everything out so no bone chips and mess from saws. Packages everything up nice and neat and has a system in place to ensure you get your deer, as long as you're not getting specialty stuff like summer sausage or snack sticks, then all bets are off. Your meat goes into a pile and you get the same amout out that you put in.

I do ussually try to at least skin the deer first though to save the $25 skinning fee.

I haven't convinced my wife to let me set up a processing area in the garage, but I'm getting there. As soon as she agrees I'm going to start processing my own.

For some reason she just won't eat the deer I process, because it doesn't come in little packages marked, and sometime she walks in on the process to see the deer carcas scatterd about.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's not really that hard to process yourself.

all one needs is a tall A frame ladder or somewhere to hang deer.
a hanging hook can be found at Academy for $15. a chain hoist is nice but a pulley and rope will work fine.

butcher paper is cheap at Sam's. no butcher will take the time, you do for your own deer.

usually I'll quarter the deer, then put quarters inside a large ice chest for a week to age. preference is to hang for a week, but temps will not always allow.

once deer is quartered on ice... then cut deer up into server size portions, wrap and freeze at your leisure. be sure to label... the extra time you take to trim deer meat will pay dividends later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom