Could this be a natural spring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had a drainage problem in my yard since I cleared the land to be able to notice it. I have an anaerobic septic system with sprinklers out to my yard.

Yesterday I dug up the lines in my yard to see if the drainage problem was a leak. As soon as I got about 2-2.5’ down water started flowing up from the ground. It’s about 20’ from any water line and I didn’t find any leaks. It’s now filled up the hole I dug.

It’s not a neighbors leach field, and I just have no idea why water would be coming up from the ground. The septic water line is about 10-12” down and the water started coming up around 2’ down.

Any ideas on what I can do? It’s causes a pretty large marshy type area in the yard. Like drainage rocks, topsoil. What do you do with this? Lol. Dig a well?

Attachments

• IMG_3951.jpeg
    IMG_3951.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3952.jpeg
    IMG_3952.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3950.jpeg
    IMG_3950.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short of sending a sample off to have tested you could put in a french drain of some sort and run it somewhere where it wont pool up or tie some lateral lines into it and disperse it thru out your yard in a evenly manner as a underground watering system.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if this is close to your house?? i would consider a dewatering project to keep the groundwater away from under your house. looks like a likely place to build a pit pond. what kind of trees were growing there before? that can be a huge indication of sub surface water. also trees use a huge amount of water so more trees might help.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The previous owner pulled all the trees and then let the yard grow wild. It’s far from our house. Probably 75 yards on a pretty steep incline. The weirdest part is it’s only there. I dug about 4 holes above, below and to the sides about 10’ away. Nothing but damp soil. We live right next to the lake so it might just the water table at that point with all the rain.

That perforated pipe idea sounds good or maybe I could plant a couple fruit trees around there. I’ve emptied it twice and it just fills and then stops. Never seen anything like it, but at this point I’m sick of having to riding mow around it and then weed whack that area.

I’ll wait for everything to dry up a bit, but man a couple avocado and peach trees would be amazing and worth the weed whacking effort. Lol

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The previous owner pulled all the trees and then let the yard grow wild. It’s far from our house. Probably 75 yards on a pretty steep incline. The weirdest part is it’s only there. I dug about 4 holes above, below and to the sides about 10’ away. Nothing but damp soil. We live right next to the lake so it might just the water table at that point with all the rain.

That perforated pipe idea sounds good or maybe I could plant a couple fruit trees around there. I’ve emptied it twice and it just fills and then stops. Never seen anything like it, but at this point I’m sick of having to riding mow around it and then weed whack that area.

I’ll wait for everything to dry up a bit, but man a couple avocado and peach trees would be amazing and worth the weed whacking effort. Lol
if the static level in your hole is higher that the lake? then the lake is not the source of the water. look for water sources above or at the same static level of your hole.

Latest posts

Top Bottom