Beginner's Beekeeping Class

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful with bees. It’s like firearms, you start with 1 or 2, then Bam!, what happened?

I retired law enforcement several years ago and got bored. I started with 2 hives and went into winter with 7, then 20, then 40 and last year ran about 60 to 65 hives around the Edmond and NE OKC area. Another LEO I’d worked with my career was bored and helping me a lot so we went in partnership.

What I’ve seen from others…you will quit the first year and sell your equipment pennies on the dollar OR you will get hooked and off you go.

It is hard work, it is hot, you will get stung. But it's a blast. And it's rewarding. And you will meet really neat people.

You can learn a ton from classes, YouTube, books, etc., but getting into a hive with someone to show and explain things is the best way to learn. Having a mentor can increase your success by multiples.

My buddy and I allow newbies to come over, put on a suit and get into bees. It will help you decide if you want to invest in beekeeping. Like any hobby, the expenses can get away from you.

If you have Facebook, you can check out my page at Honey’s Honey OKC or Honey's Honey OKC . We post pics and videos of bees and processing honey and flowers and related things. You can check out Honey’s Honey OKC Swarm Removal and Cutouts if you want to see our business side where we remove bees from houses, trees, apartments, etc.

If you (or anyone else) want to get into bees, give me a call…405 642-0065. Would be happy to explain what you’re about to get into.

Mike

(Located near I35 and Memorial Road)

BTW, there are local bee clubs across Oklahoma. COBA (Central Oklahoma Beekeeping Association) meets the third Thursday of the month at 7pm at the Will Rogers Center near 36th and Lake Hefner Parkway. Free to attend. They also have a Facebook page where you can learn tons from local beekeepers.

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful with bees. It’s like firearms, you start with 1 or 2, then Bam!, what happened?

I retired law enforcement several years ago and got bored. I started with 2 hives and went into winter with 7, then 20, then 40 and last year ran about 60 to 65 hives around the Edmond and NE OKC area. Another LEO I’d worked with my career was bored and helping me a lot so we went in partnership.

What I’ve seen from others…you will quit the first year and sell your equipment pennies on the dollar OR you will get hooked and off you go.

It is hard work, it is hot, you will get stung. But it's a blast. And it's rewarding. And you will meet really neat people.

You can learn a ton from classes, YouTube, books, etc., but getting into a hive with someone to show and explain things is the best way to learn. Having a mentor can increase your success by multiples.

My buddy and I allow newbies to come over, put on a suit and get into bees. It will help you decide if you want to invest in beekeeping. Like any hobby, the expenses can get away from you.

If you have Facebook, you can check out my page at Honey’s Honey OKC or Honey's Honey OKC . We post pics and videos of bees and processing honey and flowers and related things. You can check out Honey’s Honey OKC Swarm Removal and Cutouts if you want to see our business side where we remove bees from houses, trees, apartments, etc.

If you (or anyone else) want to get into bees, give me a call…405 642-0065. Would be happy to explain what you’re about to get into.

Mike

(Located near I35 and Memorial Road)

BTW, there are local bee clubs across Oklahoma. COBA (Central Oklahoma Beekeeping Association) meets the third Thursday of the month at 7pm at the Will Rogers Center near 36th and Lake Hefner Parkway. Free to attend. They also have a Facebook page where you can learn tons from local beekeepers.

Oh my!! Thank you for the invite (which I will take you up on soon as things calm down here a bit) and the info!

Everyone I've met so far has been really nice and helpful -- much like the shooter community. I can hardly wait to get situated and get a couple of hives started.

I realized last night while I was plotting and scheming that I have really kinda gone a bit nuts since I quit working. I'm gonna fool around and hurt myself again if I don't pace myself but bees is one of the things I definitely want to do.

It's kinda hard to decide what comes first -- the pollinator garden or the bees, ya know??!?! 🤔🤔 But I have been putting out a lot of perennials this year and intend to sow as many seeds for a pollinator garden as is feasible this fall (for the plants that need a cold spell in order to trigger germination) and next spring. Bees will happen about the same time. I can have my beds ready so a fortune can be spent in flowering plants next year. Grumpy will be SO pleased. Lol😬😬😂😂😂

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if you don't see as many bees in your pollinator garden. Bees don't read books and will search for the maximum producing plants .

Latest posts

Top Bottom