Could this be a natural spring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ever get drunk again? Or just make sure dad never found out?
Got drunk many times, only got caught 2 more times that I paid dearly for. One I built fence through a rock gully, literally busting holes in rock to set post in cement. It wasn't to bad, a friend stopped by and stayed to help because he felt responsible. It was his liquor we drank. The other time I had to remove grain from one bin, put in another and clean the one I emptied. Took half a day, thought I was done. Dad came out to inspect said it looked good but he changed his mind I needed to put it all back in the first one.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're not kidding, when I was teenager I came home a little intoxicated. Dad wasn't impressed and the next morning woke me up at 4:30am loaded the truck with saws, axes and chains. Delivered me to a dry creek bed that used to be spring fed, then commenced to tell me that he wanted every cedar tree taken out. There was dang near a hundred. Well worked all weekend got some of them cut and most dug out. Three days later we had a spring fed creek flowing again. Dad said he would have never thought that it would flow again, he was just making me pay for getting drunk.

I had two Brothers just like you.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you ever get drunk again? Or just make sure dad never found out?
I bought some land down in the Ozarks, where my folks are from. My mother was raised near the property, and said when she was a kid this property had an atresian well that was really good water, and that it ran over all the time, year around. This land was pretty much grown up with ceders, and the old well didn't run over any more, I wonder if all these ceders had anything to do with that?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My uncle had a spot like that on his old homestead. It was a spring so he dug a small garden pond around it and rocked the walls. it was about 4’ deep and 8’ diameter. It filled with cold, clear water and stayed full year round. He would catch catfish and put them in the pool to keep until we had a fish fry. The cold, clean water made the fish much better tasting than when they came straight out of the lake or creek.

I only remember it getting low during a couple droughts, but never saw it go dry.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well OP? Did it go dry yet?
I’ve had a drainage problem in my yard since I cleared the land to be able to notice it. I have an anaerobic septic system with sprinklers out to my yard.

Yesterday I dug up the lines in my yard to see if the drainage problem was a leak. As soon as I got about 2-2.5’ down water started flowing up from the ground. It’s about 20’ from any water line and I didn’t find any leaks. It’s now filled up the hole I dug.

It’s not a neighbors leach field, and I just have no idea why water would be coming up from the ground. The septic water line is about 10-12” down and the water started coming up around 2’ down.

Any ideas on what I can do? It’s causes a pretty large marshy type area in the yard. Like drainage rocks, topsoil. What do you do with this? Lol. Dig a well?

It go dry yet?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend has property and lots of cedar trees.
I cut them down all the time and cleared dozens from around a 60 foot wide 3 foot deep frog pond.

That pond has not dried up since the cedars were cut down.
It is true they suck up a lot of water.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend has property and lots of cedar trees.
I cut them down all the time and cleared dozens from around a 60 foot wide 3 foot deep frog pond.

That pond has not dried up since the cedars were cut down.
It is true they suck up a lot of water.

They are a pittance to a Cottonwood. They use a lot of water draw every day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom