Beginner's Beekeeping Class

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OSU Extension here in the City has a class Wednesday. I'm tempted ... Do any of you guys know if it is worth a whole day??

The only info I can find is the date, time and location. Nothing about cost, curriculum covered (except that it's for beginners), yada yada yada. I'm probably just gonna show up and see how it goes.

Thanks for any info you guys can give me.

Also, any of you guys done the Master Gardener program?? I'm tempted. Seems like I might be able to tighten up my learning curve and learn some botany related stuff. 🤷

Plus, I'm really interested in water conservation, harvesting and grey water use. Since we are fixing to remodel I'm REALLY tempted to set up a grey water tank and use that water instead of just wasting it. 🤷

Well ... I might change the title of my thread. This kinda went off the rails quick. Lol

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have physical ability to keep bees? Have you requested Da Grumps blessing for this endeavor?
Let me know if you're serious on it, I have a few things you could use and can have free if you'd like, it'll take a bit before I get to OKC though.....

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the master gardeners course years ago and it was $100 . That was in Pittsburgh county. It opens up a lot of resources for you. Technically your only allowed to be a master Gardner while participating in OSU events.
Most of the course is basic information .
I attended a few bee keeping classes and it was the instructor way and not really my cup of tea. Seemed it was the instructor way to sell his extra bees to new beekeeper and not interested in how to keep bees. You'll probably learn just as much on YouTube. Keyman Reynolds is a good channel that actually has good information.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have physical ability to keep bees? Have you requested Da Grumps blessing for this endeavor?
Let me know if you're serious on it, I have a few things you could use and can have free if you'd like, it'll take a bit before I get to OKC though.....
Oh my goodness! How sweet!!

Well, that's kinda why I was gonna go to this class. It's one day and I can get a feel for what I gotta do. Grumpy's blessing?!?!?! Haha! 🙃🤗 Yeah, he's cool with it -- I have a spot picked out in the back yard I think will work. Again I'll know more after going to school for a day.

I've have talked about doing this for YEARS. Now that I am not working and actually have a little bit of energy to do things around the house I'm wanting to see just how "self-sufficient" I can really be. Plus, there's a couple down the street that have a LOT of the same interests I do. They are both still 10 or 15 years or so away from retiring so he helps me with the heavy lifting when Grumpy's not around and I share veggies, eggs and hopefully in a year or so, honey, with them. It's kinda cool having neighbors who are actually nice. 😁

ETA: Let me check out this class and the YT channel 2busy suggested and I'll message ya about the stuff. We'll figure something out where you don't have to travel the whole way. That doesn't seem too gracious of me to expect you to deliver what you are so kindly sharing with me. 😘

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the master gardeners course years ago and it was $100 . That was in Pittsburgh county. It opens up a lot of resources for you. Technically your only allowed to be a master Gardner while participating in OSU events.
Most of the course is basic information .
I attended a few bee keeping classes and it was the instructor way and not really my cup of tea. Seemed it was the instructor way to sell his extra bees to new beekeeper and not interested in how to keep bees. You'll probably learn just as much on YouTube. Keyman Reynolds is a good channel that actually has good information.

Oh thanks! I'll check out his channel.

If this instructor is like yours then I'll learn what I can off YT and then buy my stuff from him. 🤔🤔 At the very least it will get my toe in the water and get me a local contact. 🤷

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh thanks! I'll check out his channel.

If this instructor is like yours then I'll learn what I can off YT and then buy my stuff from him. 🤔🤔 At the very least it will get my toe in the water and get me a local contact. 🤷
The bee keeper class wasn't a OSU class I went to. I think it was just Pittsburgh county bee keepers club. It was once a month meeting and was like $10 a year dues. I don't know what the dues went to other than the instructors wife to provide a snack at the meeting. I stopped going after a few meetings. It wasn't worth the 100 mile round trip.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bee keeper class wasn't a OSU class I went to. I think it was just Pittsburgh county bee keepers club. It was once a month meeting and was like $10 a year dues. I don't know what the dues went to other than the instructors wife to provide a snack at the meeting. I stopped going after a few meetings. It wasn't worth the 100 mile round trip.

Oh Lord! I would have stopped going, too. 🤦

Latest posts

Top Bottom