Coyote Eating Apples

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't think those are apples. He's eating them too fast. More like those bushes of red berries you see around.

Watching my pear trees is pretty funny, deer on the ground and squirrels and coons up top throwing pears down at them.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a persimmon tree just outside our back fence in a green belt area near Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa. The coyotes love those persimmon nuts.. In fact, so much so that they've probably kept the coyotes from getting involved with our little dogs. According to Nextdoor, coyotes love to eat small cats and dogs.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a persimmon tree just outside our back fence in a green belt area near Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa. The coyotes love those persimmon nuts.. In fact, so much so that they've probably kept the coyotes from getting involved with our little dogs. According to Nextdoor, coyotes love to eat small cats and dogs.

I don't know anything about persimmon nuts, but unless they are a year round product of the trees, one should probably keep "Fluffy" of whichever species under close watch.

Then again, maybe the 'Yotes are partaking of the contents of the dumpsters at the mall?

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know anything about persimmon nuts, but unless they are a year round product of the trees, one should probably keep "Fluffy" of whichever species under close watch.

Then again, maybe the 'Yotes are partaking of the contents of the dumpsters at the mall?

I don't really know anything about persimmons either but the tree does seem to be dropping nuts or what is supposed to be fruit year round. Luckily in 30 years of being here the coyotes couldn't care less about my dogs. I think where people really get into trouble is when pets are fed outside and the coyotes smell and come for the pets' food. The pets defend their food bowl and lose the battle. My dogs are fed inside and there's nothing in the yard to interest the coyotes. Our only other alternative is to lock the dogs up all day and let them out only when I'm there but we're gone so much that would be no life for them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Persimmons are a fruit with a seed inside, not a nut. They are extremely sweet AFTER they fall from the tree which is why coyotes love them. Actually all animals love them and are a magnet for wildlife to feed on. The coyotes can't digest the internal seeds which results in their turds being a mass of persimmon seeds.
It's a very common sight at our place to see the coyote droppings in the fall that are nothing but seeds.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Persimmons are a fruit with a seed inside, not a nut. They are extremely sweet AFTER they fall from the tree which is why coyotes love them. Actually all animals love them and are a magnet for wildlife to feed on. The coyotes can't digest the internal seeds which results in their turds being a mass of persimmon seeds.
It's a very common sight at our place to see the coyote droppings in the fall that are nothing but seeds.
Don't have to fall from tree to be sweet, just need a couple freezes to make them good

Latest posts

Top Bottom