Coyote Tracking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crag83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All,

I have been trying to research on the internet, where to set up a stage for coyote hunting. Do coyotes prefer thick timber and trees? Also, the way that I understand it is that I need to be facing the wind, so that they will not smell me. Any thoughts?

Craig

YankeeMN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coyotes generally will be wherever the feed is. The thicker the cover the better, be it brush, long grass, ect. They will use the heaviest cover possible to approach.

Generally if you are hunting solo calling into the wind is advisable, but they will almost always attempt to swing downwind to the call. Generally I try to come crosswind to my sets, so if they do come downwind they are not coming right across my access trail. That said, approaching downwind, crosswind ect.. is not always an option depending on topography and access.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I have my choice, I always face downwind. They are most often going to circle you that way. If possible, I try to have an opening down wind to make them show themselves...a wheat field, pasture or something they will be visible in and not be able to sneak in and smell me and leave without a shot being possible. They don't always come down wind but most will try to get your scent. The harder the wind is blowning, the farther they will usually circle to get wind on you.

Moosey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to live in the country where i've seen them in packs of 20 to 30. They usually come around where there are cattle or other animals present. I hear spotlighting coyotes at night is illegal. One thing you might try is a coyote call resembling a dying rabbit scream. You might could ask a rancher to help him with a coyote problem on his land. The best time would be after dark or early sunrise.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've found that calling along small creeks that has a small line of trees along them to be good places, as well as along deep draws, thickets, etc. Get there right at daylight, use some rabbit, bird, rodent calls, and you might get a bonus bobcat to come in also. My approach to landowners has always been to assure them I'm not wanting to hunt deer/turkey, just coyotes and cats. If they are cattlemen, I've rarely been told no, especially if I tell them that I won't call until after deer season is over, which is usually the best time for predator's anyway.

By the way, coyotes are almost always found close to cattle operations. I've heard this from many different sources, and from what I can tell, it's true!

J. Holly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dealing with coyotes, never say never or always.

Most generally, coyotes use the easiest avenues of approach. When there is a roadway available, they most generally come right down the roadway. Only a few I have called in use cover for approach. I find the reverse is true for bobcats.

I like to call crosswind, with an open downwind side. Although I can hunt however the stand I want to make dictates. To be a successful predator hunter, you need to not be locked in to one method. You need to adapt to conditions, like your prey.

Latest posts

Top Bottom