Crap range day: P238 Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a p238 that did the same thing.pocket lint was preventing the mag catch from seating all the way. detail strip and cleaning fixed it

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So i finally took it back out today with both mags that have pinky extensions and both are popping out when shooting.
I then intentionally hold the gun a weird way with my fingers absolutely nowhere near the mag release and it pops out still.
Then, I get to thinking...when I shot it before I would carry it with the longer mag that has the extension...and at the range use the flush mag so I didnt have to unload my carry mag.

I really think its something weird with the way I grip the gun and it puts pressure on the mag and is disengaging it from the mag release inside. I get my pinky on there pretty snug and when I do...the mag pops out. If I put my pinky UNDER the mag, it never pops loose nor did it ever do so with the flush mag which is why I probably never had it happen before...I just carried the extended mag.
So now I gotta figure out a good way to hold the gun, or quit using the extended mag. I wish I had brought the flush mag with me today but I never thought that could possibly be a cause...so hopefully Friday I can take it out with the flush mag and see what happens. If it stays in, looks like I'll have a pair of factory extended Sig mags up for grabs :(

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I and my wife have never had that problem with either mags we have both also. Somethings not right, weak spring something bent, etc. I would send it back for repair. Might do some other things to it while it is there. We have found ours to be reliable.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the mags is one I've been carrying for about two years but the other extended mag is brand new and that was its first range trip, and the first time I'd shot either like that. Thats why I think its with the way my hand hits the basepad and dislodges it.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I shot about 150 rounds today with the flush mag without a single issue. Looks like I've got something weird going on with me and those pinky extender mags...so away they will go.
One was bought at a LGS 2 or so years ago and the other from a dealer at a gun show about a month ago...so its not like it was a bad batch...just something with me and those mags dont get along.
Bummer...but at least I get to keep the gun :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to read through the whole thing better tomorrow but it is good to know its not just me.

I have seen before someone offers a mag spring and follower upgrade for the 6 rounds to add an additional round...I'll look into those in the meantime. I shot the 150 rounds today with a flush mag just fine and dont know if its worth the hassle of sending the gun into Sig to hope they can make the extended mags run.

Latest posts

Top Bottom