Crawfish Etoufee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seurto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you ever get the chance, get some fresh louisiana crawfish and use them in your recipe.. it will make a world of difference..

not only is the chinese crawfish raised in "dirty water" rice fields (raw sewage and whatnot) but they are also typically freezer burnt and do not have the same taste..
My family has thier own crawfish pond, and we can smell the chinese crawfish a mile away..

You can substitute shrimp, but it will not be similiar.. What gives the etoufee its richness is the fat, in the crawfish.. which you have none, in shrimp, nor your chinese crawfish that you are getting from wal-mart..

Put it in this perspective, being in OK, do you buy your steaks from wal-mart?
We're from Louisiana, and know better than to buy steak from wal-mart.. Cheap is good, for some things..

you can order fresh crawfish on the internet..
http://www.lacrawfish.com/By-the-Poundbr-FedEx-Delivery-C28.aspx

http://www.crawdads.net/prices/#Shipping

Or you can goto Hebert's in Tulsa.. they have GENUINE pre-packaged USA crawfish, they have thier own crawfish ponds back in Louisiana as well. (Hebert's in Tulsa is the brother of the Hebert in Louisiana, thier father opened the original store in Muarice, LA)
http://www.hebertsmeats.com/asccustompages/categories.asp?categoryID=15

If your around OKC, you could order some crawfish at The Shak
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...ear=Oklahoma+City,+OK&cid=7087263867058778021
This is an "authentic" cajun eatery.. The owner is from Lafayette and comes from "the landrys" family.. (they own thier own crawfish ponds as well, back in Louisiana).. My wife and I are picky "cajun" resteraunt eaters (because usually its crap with tomato paste), thier crawfish etoufee is damn spot on authentic.. They also serve boiled crawfish, so you could order some there, eat boiled crawfish and then take the rest home to make your etoufee with..

The most expensive time to purchase USA crawfish is between Feb and April (from mardi-gras to Easter), getting more expensive as you lead up to Easter.. After that the price drops by half.. I must admit though, the internet prices are quit high, as to what I am used to..

If you do get live crawfish, you must boil them before you de-head them and peel the tails.. That's a whole nother process, and, if you need help with it, me or the wife would be happy to assist..

Just a couple of tips for yall...

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Got some for this week from wally. Bernards? Says packed for them in Lousiana but on back under the barcode it says "product of china" ARG!!! tricked again.

Im gonna use your recipe.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,..bought the stuff, going to try it probably Thursday. Didn't realize those crawfish tails would be that expensive,...about 6 bucks/ sack.

You'd think this country would be able to produce their own crawfish instead of shipping them from China.

Can you give me some idea on how much of that creole seasoning to use..? I want it flavorful, but not too hot or my dad might not be able to eat it.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,..bought the stuff, going to try it probably Thursday. Didn't realize those crawfish tails would be that expensive,...about 6 bucks/ sack.

You'd think this country would be able to produce their own crawfish instead of shipping them from China.

Can you give me some idea on how much of that creole seasoning to use..? I want it flavorful, but not too hot or my dad might not be able to eat it.

Start with 1/2 teaspoon and work up from there...you add more fire by adding more cayenne pepper

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the same thing at Pappadeaux as often as possible.

When I went to Houston for a business meeting & calculation seminar we at here, it was by far the best I have found. I thought there was one of these in OKC too but when I looked online it didnt show a location. And I'm not goin to Houston just for a meal, LOL.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I went to Houston for a business meeting & calculation seminar we at here, it was by far the best I have found. I thought there was one of these in OKC too but when I looked online it didnt show a location. And I'm not goin to Houston just for a meal, LOL.

I spent about three weeks working in Beaumont, Tx in January and February. Pearls is probably my favorite restaurant in OKC. I'll say this, Pearls dosent hold a candle to Pappadeaux.

I discovered Mississippi Catfish Oppelousas there. It is two blackened catfish fillets covered with crawfish etoufee with oysters and shrimp. With a side of cheesy grits with adouille sausage its a heavenly meal! Pretty awesome when the shrimp is the worst tasting thing on your plate.

I went to the grocery store and bought me several canisters of "slap ya mamma" seasoning and a jar of etoufee, my last day in Beaumont. I'm gonna miss Beaumont, I gained 10 lbs while I was there! Probably was time to leave though I got my first February sunburn while I was there. Great place to spend winter though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom