Credit card compromised

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just found out this morning that my credit card was compromised. Fortunately the fraud department caught it very quickly and called. The card is canceled and all I am going to have to do is a little paperwork. I have only used it in one local store in the past month. I really wish that they would really go after the people that buy the numbers and use it, but I know they will not unless it is for a lot of money.

KillShot

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Unless it's a significant amount of money such as $5,000+, it's cheaper for the credit card company to write it off as a loss than it would be to prosecute. Glad to hear it was flagged before it got out of hand.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just had that happen at a Lawton restaurant.

CC called me couple of Saturday's ago. Asked if I had just bought 500 dollars worth of concert tickets thru ticketmaster. Said No.

Only place I had used the card was at the restaurant. Pain in the ass getting all the appropriate agencies notified. Phone number on my credit union statement for CC after hours was printed wrong!!!! Has been for quite some time. Lotta complaining about that.

Anyway, recently went into same restaurant. When the check came, I asked to see manager. handed card to manager and explained why. She got real animated. Wanted to know details. turns out they had just fired two people for compromising CC numbers. Pissed me off that they obviously didn't prosecute.

Dave

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had not used my card for a few days till I ordered a knife on line. The next day I was charged for a ticket to Poland on an Irish airline. I called the knife company and told them, they claimed they didn't do nothing wrong.
The CC company refunded me and issued a new card.

juilliano

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Happened to me after buying my AR at a gun show. It was my bank card, so they just cancelled and mailed me a new one. I'm all for deeing the people doing this getting prosecuted. Why would they stop if there's no punishment?

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my debit card, saw over $300 worth of online florist transactions and was like WTF?!!? I called my bank and they said the transactions occured in Austrailia! I got credited all of my money back though.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only happened once to me. My bank called around 8:00 on evening.
There was a small ($1) charge they thought was suspicous.
They put a smack down on it and sent me a new card in a couple days.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its gotten to the point that the only times I use my credit cards are for paying certain bills,booking my flights,etc. Automatic bank withdrawal on certain other bills is super handy. I dont like to use our bank ATM,check or debit cards any more either. I have a Greendot debit card I pre load at Wallyworld with only what I will be spending when I am buying stuff online,PayPal,etc. And I find myself constantly checking on my cards online sites for bogus charges.

If I can use cash,then I use it wherever I spend money at in person- restaurants,gas stations,shopping,etc. I even broke out my dads old money clip he used to carry cash with just to start carrying more cash with me than I used to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom