Cruise questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wife and I have been on 4 Royal Caribbean cruises and just got back two weeks ago from a Princess cruise. In December taking the whole family on a Royal Cruise. We only started four years ago so I say we are noobies; however, IMHO I will stick with Royal Caribbean. Cleaner and the staff was much more polite and professional. These are tips or hints but just what we do:
1) I compare prices online at the ships website and other places like USAA and Cruise Critic before I buy.
2) We look at the excursions to see which ones we want and book them because our first cruise we waited until we got on ship and the ones we found out we wanted didn't have openings.
3) Drink packages - RC has a soda package that includes bottles of water. One cruise I bought the expensive drink package and after it was all said and done I didn't drink enough to make it a good buy.
4) Bring little stuff like tylenol, a small box of dayquil, imodoium, and extra batteries for camera with you because the ships price is outrageous.
5) Every time we go we bring less and less clothes...we still over pack.
6) Be friendly to room attendant - he/she can get you things.
7) We always fly in the day before because the ship will leave without you if you have flight problems.
8) Day packs the day you board ship because you might not see your bags until later in night.

Another vote for Royal Caribbean and like he says...pack less clothes, bring more incidentals. We bought tons of hats/shirts/shorts.....no need to pack extra if your gonna buy em anyway.

And dont wait to sign up for excursions before ship leaves, they can be canceled if ya just wanna stay local but they fill up fast.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
While I have never been on a royal carribiean, I have been on 6 on carnival. Never had any problems, never. Always the crew has been the most gracious and helpfull.

I will say that you should like to be around people, that is true. Not very many places, except your cabin, to be by yourself. Also, you should like to eat, because that can be done constantly.

I will tell you that you either love cruses or you hate them in my experience in going with otber people. We have always gone on Carnival because we take our son with us and they have great programs for the kids. Also, we have always found that carnival is so much cheaper. Our next cruise is over christmas for a week and I think we are at about 800 each person. Which I know you can go cheaper, but that is over Christmas.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to western Caribbean on Carnival Magic last November and going back again this Nov. ( just different route). Spent a little more and got a room with balcony. Had a fantastic time and absolutely no complaints.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanna go on one of those quilting cruises ... GC's a little concerned he'll be bored but I'm pretty sure he'll be able to entertain himself.

So ... I'm kinda following along for info, too ...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have been on three cruises. Love them. Carnival to the Bahama's for the first one, Carnival to the eastern Carib for the second, and Alaska on Celebrity.

Once going to Alaska, we have no desire to go back to the Carib.

We had great service, both on deck and in our rooms with both cruise lines, but the Celebrity line was geared more for adults in the entertainment area.

On the Carib cruises we stayed on the inside, and paid as we went.

On the Alaskan, we got a balcony room, and the package where we got open seating whenever we wanted to go eat, free drinks, tips paid in the package etc. It was more expensive, but well worth getting out of the hassle. I didn't care for the mandatory time to eat that we had with Carnival.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.vacationstogo.com/login.cfm?t=y

Found this place a while ago, good if you can just jump on something and get away. . . Also may want to look at the "repositioning" cruises can take a flight out or back and have much less for people on the ship. If I were to do something of this nature I would want to go through the Panama canal while a ship is heading from the west coast to the gulf.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alaska cruise on my list.
Don't know when but it will happen. As for carribean I'd rather just fly in & stay on an island. The beach is where it's at for me.
Which cruise line was it that was in the news so much last year?

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Alaska cruise on my list.
Don't know when but it will happen. As for carribean I'd rather just fly in & stay on an island. The beach is where it's at for me.
Which cruise line was it that was in the news so much last year?
Carnival was the one in the news the most, but take a look at how many different cruise lines they own, they are by far the biggest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom