Cummins agrees to pay $1.67 billion to settle claims it bypassed emissions tests

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Define DODGE - to avoid. True but unfair? VW had same issues 7-10 years back with their turbo diesels and they were pushing buy backs from consumers (or maybe that was big brother induced). A friend of mine would not sell his Passat back to them and they were paying well. With his foot easy on the go-go juice he got 50mpg +. Where would he get something to duplicate that? It would be interesting to look and see if Dodge got off easier because of USA branding than our foreign friends did. I believe issue over emissions testing was the common thread between Dodge and VW but not sure if actual violations were the same. For some reason it comes back to me that the VW test vehicle passed and they slipped all the rest of the turbo diesels in set up for customer satisfaction and performance, not green regulations. That's why there was an incentive buy back.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Define DODGE - to avoid. True but unfair? VW had same issues 7-10 years back with their turbo diesels and they were pushing buy backs from consumers (or maybe that was big brother induced). A friend of mine would not sell his Passat back to them and they were paying well. With his foot easy on the go-go juice he got 50mpg +. Where would he get something to duplicate that? It would be interesting to look and see if Dodge got off easier because of USA branding than our foreign friends did. I believe issue over emissions testing was the common thread between Dodge and VW but not sure if actual violations were the same. For some reason it comes back to me that the VW test vehicle passed and they slipped all the rest of the turbo diesels in set up for customer satisfaction and performance, not green regulations. That's why there was an incentive buy back.
VW wrote code that told the car when it was hooked up to the testing machines so it would change what it was doing in order to pass.

F the EPA.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC, VW had their ECU’s set up to pass the emissions tests on all their vehicles, but only for the very specific parameters of the test loop. Once the cars got outside those parameters, they’d default to the most efficient programming for power and fuel economy.

There are no free lunches. Of course the government doesn’t care about that because they don’t have to pay for any of them.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The emissions is a farce, nobody truly meets the standard, it is impossible. Def cleans
Nothing, only dilutes the exhaust with good byproducts, so the nox seems to be lower. It puts
Out the same amount. And where does that fine money go? Who gets it? Who decides how to
Spend it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom