Current state of the gun market - interesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_towner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This update on production is interesting. It was emailed from a friend today. Some of the info is widely known (i.e. magpul 1 million back ordered). If this is already posted I apologize. Also, on Friday I called DSG Arms to see where the "back order" of Pmags was located in que. He stated they were shipping December 20th and 21st orders. I ordered on December 22nd so he said it should be within the next couple of weeks. The mags I ordered on 28th likely won't ship until end of March.

Validity of info unknown:

Smith & Wesson-is running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages.*

RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days.*

FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1. Remington-Maxed out!*

Armalite: Maxed out.*

DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product.*

COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's.*

LWRC:Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels.*

Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind.*

AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line.*

MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon.*

RELOADERS... ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes... it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up.

JJ Hiryuu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A sizable stash of .22LR and a few firearms similar enough to the ones I shoot often are what I'm depending on to keep my skills passable. Unfortunately, the few times I've gone poking around for ammo, .22LR seems hard to find as well, so I'm a little leery of shooting the volume I've grown accustomed to. Seems like .38 Special is still available online and in bulk, may have to use this as an excuse to work on my revolver shooting.

That MagPul statistic, if true, is mind-blowing.

t_towner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect that if nothing happens w the capacity ban by summer we could easily see $12 -15 pmags again. Magpul is shipping mags daily.

FoRce5ReCoN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah its crazy how much the prices on everything jumped up, i've seen pmags for sale for $100, i went into Dong's sporting goods in tulsa and they have a FNH SCAR .308 its marked at $20,000.00.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's terrible. Almost impossible to find any 9mm. I haven't shot my pistol in almost 2 months because I'm wanting not to waste ammo.

Reload,and don't worry about shortages in stores.

1 LB of WST powder reloading .40 S&W will give almost 1500 rounds. Lead bullets, and primers, your in the game for 1/2 or more than current prices.

gmplaster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will pass. The run on guns that is. The frenzy is not sustainable. From the Gun Tests Newsletter that hit my mailbox today…

Tales from Retail
“Do you have any AR-15s?” a customer asks.
The counter salesman says he has some, then the customer asks, -“How many can I buy?”
The salesman replied he has three in stock, but there was a limit of two per day.
The customer says, “I will take two. What are they?”
“I have two Bushmasters and a SIG Sauer,” the salesman says.
“I’ll take the Bushmasters.”
“Would you like to see them?” the salesman says.
“No, I don’t need to see them.”
After his sale was complete, I asked him,
“Why did you choose the Bushmaster over the SIG Sauer?”
He said, “Because that’s what I heard on TV the shooter used in Connecticut.”
“What are you going to do with these rifles?”
He says, “I don’t know.”
“Do you know how to take them apart and clean them?”
He says, “I really don’t know anything about them, except they are AR-15s.”
“Do you have any magazines?” I ask.
He says, “No, but when I find them, I am going to buy them all.” - Name Withheld

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reload,and don't worry about shortages in stores.

1 LB of WST powder reloading .40 S&W will give almost 1500 rounds. Lead bullets, and primers, your in the game for 1/2 or more than current prices.

Where you gonna get those primers, the primer fairy?
Only primer I see in any quantity anymore is large rifle magnum... The good news is, if you can find primers you can usually buy at least a thousand. Try to buy a thousand rounds of loaded ammo today... Only places with reasonably priced stock are limiting quantities.

I saw cases of Wolf .223 selling like hot cakes for close to $800 each. My only hope is that panicked buyers will eventually run out of money. Until then, ammo will be either expensive or rare.

Magazine fever I can understand... ammo fever not so much. But the way the market is today, if I saw a reasonably priced box of 9mm or .223, I would buy it in a heartbeat, not knowing when I would see the next box. When a million gun owners have that attitude, it's empty shelf time. Then I guess the panic sets in and people start paying crazy prices.

Latest posts

Top Bottom