Custom AR Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Alrighty, I am ready to commit funds, break down, and get my very own AR. I've shot stock AR's, AK's, FAL's, HK91's, etc...and none have quite tickled me the right way yet so I figure I just have to build my own rifle from scratch in order to be satisfied. So I am getting ready to clean out my safe of all unneccesary stuff and get to work building my own AR15, hopefully followed shortly by my own custom bolt gun (or as custom as I can get it according to the beer budget that I have).
Since this is my first build I am waffling between being conservative and going whole hog on this thing (not really whole hog, but as close as I can afford right now). Either plan leaves plenty of room for ammo and rangetime, its already figured into the budget. Basically what I have taken all this down to is two options:
A) Spikes mid-length upper & BCG, with a spikes complete lower, and a new MBUS flip up rear sight. Total cost $865 (this is not really a custom build but would eventually turn into one, piece by piece).

B)BCM mid-length upper & BCG, stripped spikes lower, spikes enhanced lower kit, spikes mil-spec buffer tube assembly, magpul MOE stock, and MBUS flip up rear sight. Total cost: $1007

Neither of these is the complete end unit that I want(that would require a viking tactics freefloat handguard, troy DOA sights, vltor lo-pro gasblock, and an EoTech/Aimpoint), but both are well within budget. I will be much closer to my end unit with option B, but with option A I would have more to spend on ammo/optics/other gear that I need/want.

I hope that I haven't gone completely mall ninja, I just want to buy good quality parts (BCM being right up there with Noveske, LaRue, Colt, etc. Spikes being a close second) that will help my rifle be all it can be (please avoid obvious hard time giving...). Let me know what you think. Half of me thinks I just need a stock rifle and can see the sense in getting one, the other half wants a custom rifle made from top shelf parts. Let me know what you think.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay my $.02 is if you want a tricked out high speed, low drag tacti-cool AR then build it that way from the start. Way back when I got into ARs I bought a vanilla AR and then I added all the things I wanted. Later I started building and it just is cheaper to put it together the first time exactly the way u want it. The Magpul MOE is a great stock for the money, I have a CTR I use the QD sling mount, but the lock is really just extra fluff. The Viking FF rail is also a great buy, only thing that sucks IMO is buying rail sections for it. It starts to add up when u put alot of sections all around it. My advice is build it in your head and put it all down on paper or I do spread sheets on excel. The BCG and spikes combo that you listed would be a great shooter as well. In the AR world is all about what you want and want to spend. Also prowl the used parts on here and AR15.com for used parts, it can really save money. Hope this helps

SB

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alrighty, I am ready to commit funds, break down, and get my very own AR. I've shot stock AR's, AK's, FAL's, HK91's, etc...and none have quite tickled me the right way yet so I figure I just have to build my own rifle from scratch in order to be satisfied. So I am getting ready to clean out my safe of all unneccesary stuff and get to work building my own AR15, hopefully followed shortly by my own custom bolt gun (or as custom as I can get it according to the beer budget that I have).
Since this is my first build I am waffling between being conservative and going whole hog on this thing (not really whole hog, but as close as I can afford right now). Either plan leaves plenty of room for ammo and rangetime, its already figured into the budget. Basically what I have taken all this down to is two options:
A) Spikes mid-length upper & BCG, with a spikes complete lower, and a new MBUS flip up rear sight. Total cost $865 (this is not really a custom build but would eventually turn into one, piece by piece).

B)BCM mid-length upper & BCG, stripped spikes lower, spikes enhanced lower kit, spikes mil-spec buffer tube assembly, magpul MOE stock, and MBUS flip up rear sight. Total cost: $1007

Neither of these is the complete end unit that I want(that would require a viking tactics freefloat handguard, troy DOA sights, vltor lo-pro gasblock, and an EoTech/Aimpoint), but both are well within budget. I will be much closer to my end unit with option B, but with option A I would have more to spend on ammo/optics/other gear that I need/want.

I hope that I haven't gone completely mall ninja, I just want to buy good quality parts (BCM being right up there with Noveske, LaRue, Colt, etc. Spikes being a close second) that will help my rifle be all it can be (please avoid obvious hard time giving...). Let me know what you think. Half of me thinks I just need a stock rifle and can see the sense in getting one, the other half wants a custom rifle made from top shelf parts. Let me know what you think.

First off - build the rifle to do what you want it to do, don't build it to be something that looks cool but isn't practical.

If you want to run practical carbine matches - build it for that. If you want it to do 3-gun, build it to do that. If you want to hunt with it, or shoot medium to longer ranges, or just have a KISS carbine that's dead-nuts reliable, then take all that into consideration.

The most important parts of the build will be the barrel and BCG (probably trigger after that if you care about how crappy the stock M4 trigger is).

I'd build it up from scratch if it were me - ask lots of questions and do plenty of searches on this site to get the info you need before you spend the money.

Look at Noveske, Sabre, and DD for barrels - they all make good barrels that will make life easier later when you've got some pretty awesome quality and accuracy guaranteed. BCM makes an awesome BCG. RRA, Bill Springfield, Jard, Timney, and JP all make outstanding triggers. You can put whatever in the rest of the build as long as it meets spec and you'll have an awesome setup.

Also - you can get a complete Sabre Defense rifle from Bud's for under $1k - then you get the cool thunder-cat logo on it :D

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From scratch will be the cheapest way believe me. It may take longer to acquire the money/parts, but it'll be worth it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of the two options you mentioned, I'd go with B in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I'd buy it part by part rather than completed subsections and put it together when I had everything I wanted.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First off - build the rifle to do what you want it to do, don't build it to be something that looks cool but isn't practical.

If you want to run practical carbine matches - build it for that. If you want it to do 3-gun, build it to do that. If you want to hunt with it, or shoot medium to longer ranges, or just have a KISS carbine that's dead-nuts reliable, then take all that into consideration.

The most important parts of the build will be the barrel and BCG (probably trigger after that if you care about how crappy the stock M4 trigger is).

I'd build it up from scratch if it were me - ask lots of questions and do plenty of searches on this site to get the info you need before you spend the money.

Look at Noveske, Sabre, and DD for barrels - they all make good barrels that will make life easier later when you've got some pretty awesome quality and accuracy guaranteed. BCM makes an awesome BCG. RRA, Bill Springfield, Jard, Timney, and JP all make outstanding triggers. You can put whatever in the rest of the build as long as it meets spec and you'll have an awesome setup.

Also - you can get a complete Sabre Defense rifle from Bud's for under $1k - then you get the cool thunder-cat logo on it :D

Basically this is going to be my SHTF rifle first and foremost, with competitions a close second. I know spikes uses DD barrels and have heard very good things about their QC. As much as I like the thunder cat logo, the spiderman logo speaks more to my inner geek.

I just don't want to go overboard with all the add ons that can come with building a from scratch AR. It would be really easy for me to drop money on rails, lights, foregrips, and all that stuff that I don't really need.

Looks like option B it is! I will post some pics when I finally get it done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom