Cuts to food aid looming for thousands of needy Oklahomans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang....with that kind of cut I sure hope they will be able to afford the new Iphone coming out next month...because we all know they will have them. Meanwhile I bust my tail to pay for my family to eat plus theirs.

With free breakfast and lunch at school...plus most schools have a take home food programs for the weekend.....we are looking at dinner 5 nights a week max that these peeps have to purchase. Stack on the fact that A LOT of churches will give grocery store gift cards to needy people who come in and ask...my wife worked in a church office for a while. They would see the same people every third or fourth week. They would make their rounds to various churches and had a pattern.

I am not against safety nets...but ours has become to comfortable!!!

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of things that are missed in the article. If 600,000 people are on aid, that is 1 out of every 6 people. That is pretty staggering if you ask me.

At least they found someone who wasn't complaining about it going down, she said she will just have to adjust and go on. We don't know if she was married with 5 kids and the dad passed away or is a deadbeat. She may have a job but qualifies for assistance.

Now, I am not one who thinks she needs $659 the first place. But before stones are thrown realize everyone has different situations. I was a food stamp kid growing up. It was embarassing to go to the store and use food stamps or to be a free lunch kid. I think all parents should be eligible for food assistance for children up to 5 years old. You should have to go to nutrition counseling and such in order to qualify.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$659 per month are you ****ting me?

I have 5 kids and I don't spend $659 per month on food. I spend about $200-250 every two weeks.

Seriously lady start some rump roast in a crock pot or something. Green beans are on sale at Crest right now for 24 cents.

Jesus.

I know you were being serious but I lawl'd.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of things that are missed in the article. If 600,000 people are on aid, that is 1 out of every 6 people. That is pretty staggering if you ask me.

At least they found someone who wasn't complaining about it going down, she said she will just have to adjust and go on. We don't know if she was married with 5 kids and the dad passed away or is a deadbeat. She may have a job but qualifies for assistance.

Now, I am not one who thinks she needs $659 the first place. But before stones are thrown realize everyone has different situations. I was a food stamp kid growing up. It was embarassing to go to the store and use food stamps or to be a free lunch kid. I think all parents should be eligible for food assistance for children up to 5 years old. You should have to go to nutrition counseling and such in order to qualify.

the difference between then and now is the fact you were embarrassed about it, being on welfare was shameful when I was a kid. Now nobody cares and it's all ok, and no one has much incentive to try and get out of the govt welfare trap of we're going to help you out by holding you down.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the difference between then and now is the fact you were embarrassed about it, being on welfare was shameful when I was a kid. Now nobody cares and it's all ok, and no one has much incentive to try and get out of the govt welfare trap of we're going to help you out by holding you down.

subprep, I agree with that adults don't care. I don't know if the kids still do or not. Obviously a lot of these situations there are more kids that are on welfare to those who are not. But for a kid that lives in the Owasso, BA, Jenks, Union school districts being on welfare is not the norm.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I will agree but would like to see "term limits" on most of these programs so they are not a way of life, but assistance as they were meant to be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom