Dangerous Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeJay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to protect yourself and your family, right now. You can build a legal case against your neighbor all you want, but I do not see how law enforcement can do anything until after an attack occurs. Then it is too late.
Same goes for your neighbor's reaction after you take care of the problem. You can build a legal case against him. My guess is the best you can hope for is a restraining order if he bothers you, and we all know how well those pieces of paper work.
If you don't take matters into your own hands soon, one of two things will happen: Someone in your family is going to get maimed or killed, or you are going to spend the rest of your time on your property in fear of that happening.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't understand why the owners of these dogs, or others, would put themselves in a position of this liability. I understand they may not have a pot to pi$$ in and you can't get blood out of a turnip, so no one could ever collect money anyway, but I'd be afraid of doing serious jail time if my dog were to maim, or kill someone, especially a child.

I love dogs, but this type of thing is exactly why I don't have a dog anymore. Training this, or training that, but you just never know for sure what a large dog will do in a certain set of circumstances. I own two horses and I have enough land to carry them, plus my fences are good. I think I'm at minimal liability, considering the disposition of horses (excluding stallions) and any person that comes into contact with them is trespassing anyway.

I would not hesitate to shoot those dogs at the first sign of trouble, but it sounds like the owners will be hell to deal with and would be exactly the type to seek some type of retribution. Good luck!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just in case this hasn't been made clear, I would avoid poisoning anyone's dogs, cats, or livestock. By state law intentionally poisoning your neighbors dog can be considered a felony, and it's a lot easier to find out if it is malicious than most would think. Offenses against livestock are even worse.

And from personal experience, my opinion is that if you feel the need to use pepper spray on a dog, esp a pit or any sort of dog that is considered to be a guard dog (pits are horrible guard dogs btw) you would be better off either using physical force or lethal force to eliminate the threat. They had a ridiculously high pain tolerance when hopped up on addrenalin. I have had times where I emptied an entire can of OC spray (same ones OCPD uses) into a determined, territorial dogs eyes/face accurately and then proceeded to have to fight the dog off physically because it didn't phase him. I've seen dogs maul cops after being tazed more than once.

Junior (and anybody who wants to know), I would be more than happy to tell you whatever you want to know about getting this problem resolved legally and or using deadly force against these animals in a way that you stay in the clear. I'm no attorney, however I worked as an animal welfare officer for OKC for a good bit and can answer just about anything you could possibly need to know. There are local municipality laws regarding dogs as well as state laws, so a lot of the laws are rather universal. My specialty is aggressive/dangerous dogs and animal fighting. I'll send you my # in a pm and you can feel free to call me.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to protect yourself and your family, right now. You can build a legal case against your neighbor all you want, but I do not see how law enforcement can do anything until after an attack occurs. Then it is too late.[\B]
Same goes for your neighbor's reaction after you take care of the problem. You can build a legal case against him. My guess is the best you can hope for is a restraining order if he bothers you, and we all know how well those pieces of paper work.
If you don't take matters into your own hands soon, one of two things will happen: Someone in your family is going to get maimed or killed, or you are going to spend the rest of your time on your property in fear of that happening.

this is true and also not true, not of the time. You can have law enforcement intervention over a dog who is not properly confined to the owners property, who is menacing, or is posing a reasonable threat of bodily harm or damage to yourself, your livestock, or your family.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you know any of the deputies, invite them over for dinner and let them open the gate to enter the property. Then they can see first hand the attack and may even solve the problem.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to protect yourself and your family, right now. You can build a legal case against your neighbor all you want, but I do not see how law enforcement can do anything until after an attack occurs. Then it is too late.

When I took those two pics at the beginning of this thread, I would have shot if I didn't have the truck to get into. I showed those same pics to the Sheriff's dept.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
bear spray is weaker than the stuff they use on humans [/url]

I keep hearing/seeing conflicting information on that. Wish I knew which was true.

formulations_1.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, let's be clear about taking a shot. The shot will have to be at a sharp, downward angle, which means the dog will be almost upon me. To make a shot at distance increases the likely hood of the bullet traveling and impacting elsewhere. It will have to be a one shot stop or else I am hamburger. I am sure the Alaskan is good for it.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
from the photo you provided i would say use a shotgun only and yes at a low angle. you don't want to be charged with homicide. i would bet if you take out the dominant one the others will just bark at you from now on.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand your desire to keep LE fully involved. I would, as well. However, my family's welfare trumps the other issues. Whatever you do, don't let something tragic occur before you 'terminate the threat.' And, definitely a job for a shotgun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom