Daughter's Bad Experience at H&H: Part II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This. Sorta. You can make a sale, but a refund is a pita. I personally don't care if someone doesn't want to give their name. Not one bit. But please, don't be surprised if I have trouble with a refund. And if your card isn't signed, I will ask for an ID. Of course, my favorites are the peeps that don't want to give a name and then pay with a credit card.

There's nothing wrong with refusing to allow a merchant to collect your information for their database and then using a card. Nothing at all. Do you write down the name, address and phone number of everyone who uses a card? No. Do you collect the receipts at the end of the day and copy that info into your database? I'd bet a significant amount you don't, and even more than few, if any, do. Can purchases be tracked after the fact by tracing card activity? Absolutely... only cash purchases can get around this, and likely not very easily anyways - there are tons of other ways to track your activities.

The point is to keep MERCHANTS from routinely collecting your private info, not to keep law enforcement or credit cards companies in the dark on your activities. I just don't want merchants sending me more junk mail, calling me on my home or cell phone or whatever. It's a convenience thing, not trying to be "off the radar" or something. I fecking HATE junk mail, spammers and telemarketing. Period. I do what I can within reasonable means to try to limit that... so I'm your "favorite" customer who doesn't understand what he's both refusing and allowing at the same time?

OK....

I'm perfectly ok with someone checking my ID to verify my identity and my right to use the credit card/debit card I'm providing. I have ZERO problem with that. But that's not what we're talking about... I refused to allow a merchant to COPY my ID, eff that. No way.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hmm. Assuming someone happens to give them a fake number which turns out to be a real number belonging to someone else, the someone else starts getting myriad calls as a result, and by hook or crook manages to track the calls back to the source then, when associated with the credit card, the one who gave the number.

Could that end up in harassment territory?

Not that anything like that has ever happened of course.

Every party needs a pooper, and this time it was you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There used to be something in the Visa merchant agreement that didn't allow a merchant to refuse a charge if the buyer refused to show ID. Wonder if that's still there, or there for other cards?

It's still in there, but the card has to be signed (not blank and then signed).

Doesn't say the signature has to be particularly legible, does it?

I enjoy signing the electronic things at Wal-Mart as Sam Walton. Only once has it ever been noticed, and that person just grinned and shook their head.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't say the signature has to be particularly legible, does it?

I enjoy signing the electronic things at Wal-Mart as Sam Walton. Only once has it ever been noticed, and that person just grinned and shook their head.

I sign with happy face drawings. Nobody has ever said a word.
Stupid process making you sign. It serves no purpose if it allows happy face drawings.

The OKC Cabella's clerk at checkout asked me for my birthday when checking out the other day with some .380 ammo.
I'm sure it was to see if I was old enough, but I still refused to give it up. That info along with my name gives a lot of intel to a hacker into their system.

Had she said I need to see your ID for proof of age, there would have been an eye roll moment, but would have went ahead and done it.
I don't want any of my info on a retailers database.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt that merchants would be heart broke if consumers paid with cash.

Actually, they would. Most people spend more on the credit card than they do cash, especially if it's in house financing, as they usually own the card service company, or get a kick back. Thats why merchants always push the "would you like to put this on your store x card?" bit at the registers. Oh you dont have one? Would you like to apply? They'll make ten fold in interest what they discount at the register.

Latest posts

Top Bottom