David Payne....Really

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. I was watching that very page because I do storm spotting for NWS-Tulsa. I was called to the weather office at 3:30pm to be a ham radio net control operator to take spotter reports as storms started to pop in Lincoln County. That Decision Support Page info is what allowed the early spotting efforts to get organized to provide warning to the community.

I've always wanted to do that for the NWS. However, I'm usually out in it.

-wx5uif

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I liked the part where it was churning over the house like crazy, and they kept going back to the Chickasa area for something that might happen. Thankfully there was a chopper up there with a camera. Could see what was happening when the tv was working.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like that I got a severe storm alert on my phone 30 minutes after my house got beat all to hell by large hail.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a portable scanner at home. The spotters do a great job. We hear their reports and then sometime later hear that same report on TV.

Those folks need special recognition.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not to disrespect or minimize what the people in Moore are dealing with, but this really was a fluke event. It was a weak tornado that lasted no more than a few minutes but just happened to form right in the middle of town. If this had formed a few miles east, it may not have even been noticed by storm spotters. All in all, yesterday was not a highly tornadic day...the storms in Tulsa were much more tornadic than the ones in OKC.

On the weatherman issue, David Payne is a nice guy, but i really dont care for him as a weather broadcaster. He gets way too wound up and is better suited as a storm chaser than as head meteorologist. I liked Michael Armstrong and was hoping he would have taken over after Gary left.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a portable scanner at home. The spotters do a great job. We hear their reports and then sometime later hear that same report on TV.

Those folks need special recognition.

Dennis - In case you weren't already aware, you can hear the ham spotters from all over NE OK in Ponca City on 444.700. This is linked directly to the weather service office in Tulsa. If you want to hear NW OK, there's a repeater in Perry that's linked to the Norman weather service office on 442.925. Of course, the Kay County group that you likely already have in your scanner has a good history of providing local info on their repeaters.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - In case you weren't already aware, you can hear the ham spotters from all over NE OK in Ponca City on 444.700. This is linked directly to the weather service office in Tulsa. If you want to hear NW OK, there's a repeater in Perry that's linked to the Norman weather service office on 442.925. Of course, the Kay County group that you likely already have in your scanner has a good history of providing local info on their repeaters.

Thanks for the info. I'll get those frequencies programmed into the scanner.

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think alot of the weather people were getting a little rum-dumb by the time time of the storms were winding down. my wife and i started laughing when a weather lady said, "You people in Muskogee are getting ready to be hammered by MODERATE showers.........wwaaaa? Is that like TORRENTIAL sprinkles? ha

Latest posts

Top Bottom