David Payne....Really

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Every weather report I listened to yesterday said the chance of a tornado was very low.

I heard the guy on 25 say it was all clear in Moore and Norman just seconds before the tornado was reported on the ground.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct. The storms were behind the cold front, and were expected to stay that way. What they didn't anticipate was the storms got ahead of the cold front. Once that happened the storm tapped into the warmer, unstable air, strengthened and produced a couple tornadoes.

Norman weather office was also anticipating a widespread wind event, which likely caused quite a bit of the damage.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/media/oun/releases/20150325-MooreRelease.pdf

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What was crazy was that the NWS Tulsa had a streak of 20+% of tornado just north of Tulsa across northern Oklahoma on their decision support page from about noon on. It pretty much hit it on the head.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was watching that very page because I do storm spotting for NWS-Tulsa. I was called to the weather office at 3:30pm to be a ham radio net control operator to take spotter reports as storms started to pop in Lincoln County. That Decision Support Page info is what allowed the early spotting efforts to get organized to provide warning to the community.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For all of the guys bashing the meteorologists remember this. You live in Oklahoma, if they are saying that there's a chance of large hail and damaging winds then there's likelihood of tornadoes as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom