Dear English IV Teacher........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
English IV is the only class that is required to be passed by most students their senior year, if they have split up their coarse work and met the graduation requirements. I know most seniors at the HS in my area have it setup this way.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It appears that the student didn't learn much from the teacher until the end of the year.

Agreed.... but given the attitude shown, I would lay that result at the feet of the kid much moreso than the teacher.

Also agree with the statement above about kids not realizing how much simple English, sentence structure, grammar, punctuation and spelling WILL affect them for the rest of their lives in the job field. Although I have some highly-educated and experienced nurses I work with whom cannot spell to save their lives. Sadly, should their documentation ever be called into court, they will be made to look like fools in front of a jury. I make the occasional error from hurrying, but my God... some of the spelling and grammar errors I see on what amounts to a legal document are atrocious.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed.... but given the attitude shown, I would lay that result at the feet of the kid much moreso than the teacher.

Also agree with the statement above about kids not realizing how much simple English, sentence structure, grammar, punctuation and spelling WILL affect them for the rest of their lives in the job field. Although I have some highly-educated and experienced nurses I work with whom cannot spell to save their lives. Sadly, should their documentation ever be called into court, they will be made to look like fools in front of a jury. I make the occasional error from hurrying, but my God... some of the spelling and grammar errors I see on what amounts to a legal document are atrocious.

They chart, "IV started to left hand."

I chart, "IV started with Insyte Autoguard 20 gauge 1.16 inch IV catheter x1 stick to dorsal metacarpal vein of Right Hand."

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha.... sometimes overdocumentation can be too much, though... wait till some lawyer asks you in court if you verified the 1.16" length of the IV catheter when you DC'd it to screen for the possibility of catheter shear and embolism.

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

Simply documenting "catheter tip appeared intact" won't be sufficient if you document the placement and equipment so specifically on initiation.

Jus'sayin'. ;)

<edit> I once taught a woman who was an MD/JD who did 20% medical practice and 80% Med/Mal Defense. She said sufficient documentation is one thing, but a lot of her clients actually OVERDOCUMENTED and got themselves into more trouble. So it's not just my opinion I'm talking about. Think about potential pitfalls... simple stuff.

Like documenting a manually-obtained blood pressure of 139/87. Not a good idea.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha.... sometimes overdocumentation can be too much, though... wait till some lawyer asks you in court if you verified the 1.16" length of the IV catheter when you DC'd it to screen for the possibility of catheter shear and embolism.

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

Simply documenting "catheter tip appeared intact" won't be sufficient if you document the placement and equipment so specifically on initiation.

Jus'sayin'. ;)

I document that way because if I simply say I stuck it in her hand...It was advice from "Ask the Judge" in an old nursing magazine. Judge said to never document you stuck it into a hand or an arm, or the prosecuting attorney will say you charted that you stuck in the hand or arm, and not the vein. Judge said to know the veinous anatomy and know your needle gauges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom