If you have a High School diploma and a training class you can be hired as a Teacher now in Oklahoma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Online virtual teaching will greatly change the teaching environment.

Segregate the smart (online) students to the higher caliber teachers/classes.
The unruly students, get the minimum requirements class.

For all the neighsayers, I've already put you on mute.

: )
Social skills be damned, huh?

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When i was young i knew an old man that in his young adulthood was hired by the local school to solve a problem of some of the older boys scaring the teachers off. The parents couldn't control these boys so in stepped my friend. He said that on the way to his first day at teaching he stopped and cut a large green oak branch. Stepped into class and beat the bark off of that branch on those boys. Then he told me that those young men went on to be good members of the community. True story

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Social skills be damned, huh?
Have you SEEN what counts for "social skills" these days? We pulled our youngest child out of what was supposed to be an excellent high school in OKCPS when she was 15. She took her GED & started college the month she would have begun her sophomore year of high school. And this was about a decade ago.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I can honestly say I can’t remember a teacher in high school or before. I received my education mainly by PhD from industry (and ojt) that were the real deal, they taught want was needed just like votec in the 70’s

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
being a teacher in Oklahoma is like being a police officer in san francisco or portland, except they want to pay you minimum wage.

if you're a teacher you work 300 times harder than anyone thinks, you deal with their ungrateful poorly behaved/raised children(which by the way that's your fault too), you earn 1/2 as much as you should and on top of that your minimum wage ass is part of a conspiracy to indoctrinate their kids into chopping off their genitals.

why do that when you can get a degree in business or accounting, sit in a cubicle and make 2-3x as much and not have to deal with entitled brats and parents?

if you're just so dedicated to the profession and love children enough to deal with all that on a masters or bachelors degree, god bless you.

right up there with EMSA on the amount your compensation being much lower than your societal worth.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with your statement here. It makes total sense. I know I'm old and all, but discipline in the classroom was paramount. Without it, no one is getting educated. Teachers these days are getting brutalized by their "bad" students, and nothing is done about it. I wouldn't be a school "resource" officer these days no matter what they paid me. You are in a lose-lose situation every time you interact with an out-of-control student.
Back when I was in Jr High, Mr Moore was an ex prison guard. He had no issues of slamming you against the lockers if you caused an incident in the halls or putting a paddle to your A$$ if you acted up in class.
NOBODY caused any issues in his classroom more than once. Everyone paid attention to the World Geography he taught. The classroom was silent and attentive. Very high grade average for those coming out of his class.
Students don't get discipline from their parents anymore for the most part, so they don't respect the teacher in charge of teaching them or people that are supposed to be in charge of anything these days from Leo to whatever.
Laws and social norms don't allow teachers to have or gain control of their classrooms these days, and the kids know this. We knew this as kids when a weak teacher taught our class.
I don't know how this has to be "fixed", but I do know Mr. Moore did. 50 some years later, he is the only teachers name I remember.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was in Jr High, Mr Moore was an ex prison guard. He had no issues of slamming you against the lockers if you caused an incident in the halls or putting a paddle to your A$$ if you acted up in class.
NOBODY caused any issues in his classroom more than once. Everyone paid attention to the World Geography he taught. The classroom was silent and attentive. Very high grade average for those coming out of his class.
Students don't get discipline from their parents anymore for the most part, so they don't respect the teacher in charge of teaching them or people that are supposed to be in charge of anything these days from Leo to whatever.
Laws and social norms don't allow teachers to have or gain control of their classrooms these days, and the kids know this. We knew this as kids when a weak teacher taught our class.
I don't know how this has to be "fixed", but I do know Mr. Moore did. 50 some years later, he is the only teachers name I remember.
We had a wood shop class and we were commissioned to fabricate twenty wooden paddles inscribed by a master wood burner "Board of Education".

Some teachers required modifications and wanted them more streamlined while some others wanted holes drilled into them for the least air resistance. Other teachers wanted finger grooves for maximum grip.

I was punished by one of these instruments of ass destruction for a deed which I did not participate in, but I was in the vicinity so I was guilty by association and got three licks with a paddle I recognized that I had created.

Latest posts

Top Bottom