If you have a High School diploma and a training class you can be hired as a Teacher now in Oklahoma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icarus_85

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fail to see how only requiring a high school diploma is going to make it easier for someone like a doctor to transition into teaching (why in the world would they anyway). If that doctor's credentials didn't qualify them to teach something related to their field what's the point?

I have a BS in Environmental Health Science and an MPH in Occupational Health and Safety. My entire career has consisted of me teaching people safe food handling, proper safety precautions and conducting inspections for both. I'm confident I could step into a classroom and teach public health now, but I could definitely benefit from a course on classroom management.

We need to look at "WHY" properly degreed educators are leaving their jobs in the first place. There you will find the root problem. Public secondary education has transformed into something that neither educates nor prepares young people to exist, let alone prosper, in our current world.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the best teachers/instructors I can remember were those who had been in the military or had a real job with some world experience, vs some football coach's wife they meet in college and never did anything except get knocked up and had their own kid while they were trying to teach, cause they need the money so the coach can look cool.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember some of my most influential teachers when I was in high school were the ones I had spent time with at Vo-Tech (Technology Centers). All had spent time in industry. All had their crap together. All wanted every kid to succeed, but were also willing to let you make a mistake to learn.

Those and only two high school teachers. Funny enough one was my senior English teacher and the other was my drama teacher. Neither were what you’d call popular teachers.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We need to look at "WHY" properly degreed educators are leaving their jobs in the first place. There you will find the root problem. Public secondary education has transformed into something that neither educates nor prepares young people to exist, let alone prosper, in our current world.
I agree about needing to determine why teachers are leaving, but I suspect many of us already know why. I can only speak to what my wife deals with as an elementary school teacher. It often comes down to a lack of support from both administrators and parents.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my thoughts- it's all the crap- administrators play politics and parents want to fight you if you don't think their kid is great even if they are little terrors. I don't know why anyone would want all the drama I see as a grandparent when I go to a school function.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree about needing to determine why teachers are leaving, but I suspect many of us already know why. I can only speak to what my wife deals with as an elementary school teacher. It often comes down to a lack of support from both administrators and parents.
That, and I also think teachers getting into profession do so from a skewed view of education. They forget that they most likely enjoyed school and being a student. IMO few people enter college with the desire to become an educator who didn't enjoy school themselves. They enjoyed the environment, the teachers, friends, activities, etc.........................................then they go get their degree in education, enter the classroom and find themselves facing students who aren't as excited to be there and they were when they were a student.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The year I graduated from OSU with a B.S. in Occupational Education,,,
There were over 50 graduates doing their student teaching,,,
Just over 25% decided to seek other employment.

Mainly from issues having to do with student behavior,,,
One young lady who was a friend of mine said,,,
"I never expected to be spat on in class."

She went to work for a telecom company.

Aarond

icarus_85

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That, and I also think teachers getting into profession do so from a skewed view of education. They forget that they most likely enjoyed school and being a student. IMO few people enter college with the desire to become an educator who didn't enjoy school themselves. They enjoyed the environment, the teachers, friends, activities, etc.........................................then they go get their degree in education, enter the classroom and find themselves facing students who aren't as excited to be there and they were when they were a student.
I agree with your statement here. It makes total sense. I know I'm old and all, but discipline in the classroom was paramount. Without it, no one is getting educated. Teachers these days are getting brutalized by their "bad" students, and nothing is done about it. I wouldn't be a school "resource" officer these days no matter what they paid me. You are in a lose-lose situation every time you interact with an out-of-control student.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why? The money sucks. Who wants to go to college for 4 yrs only to land a job that pays so low?

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Online virtual teaching will greatly change the teaching environment.

Segregate the smart (online) students to the higher caliber teachers/classes.
The unruly students, get the minimum requirements class.

For all the neighsayers, I've already put you on mute.

: )

Latest posts

Top Bottom