Death Certificate Delay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the past, with the death of parents for both the wife and I, the funeral home arranged for the death certificates. In our case, there were enough insurance and other things involved that the funeral home director suggested that we get 8 to 10 "original" certificates. At any rate, I'd check first with the funeral home.

Also, like the others, my condolences. Prayers for you and your extended family.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same here, my wife's death certificates are back already but they want to wait to confirm the reason and will likely delay for that till the last possible moment. If there is some issue that needs to be cleared up you can contact someone at the state and likely have a death certificate issued without the cause of death issued but it will not be the final one. The funeral home took care of all of that for me though and they also filed some other stuff on Shauna's daughter's behalf as well.

You can also always contact the funeral home or the state and get extra certificates at 15 per.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice and kind words. I actually just got back from taking Mom to pick up the certificates at the funeral home. While there, we learned that there was a fellow in town who helped folks with VA paperwork. Dad was a Vietnam vet, and it sounds like we may have to get the death certificate amended. It will take some time, but I'm sure that everything will get sorted eventually.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice and kind words. I actually just got back from taking Mom to pick up the certificates at the funeral home. While there, we learned that there was a fellow in town who helped folks with VA paperwork. Dad was a Vietnam vet, and it sounds like we may have to get the death certificate amended. It will take some time, but I'm sure that everything will get sorted eventually.
If he was on VA disability she may get some benefits. Death certificate has to say he died as a secondary condition to his VA disability.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he was on VA disability she may get some benefits. Death certificate has to say he died as a secondary condition to his VA disability.
That's something the VA guy mentioned. Mom will be taking everything from the VA regarding Dad's disability to him next week, and find out if the death certificate needs to be amended in order for her to receive benefits.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad passed this past October and it took about 6 weeks for the death certificate to be prepared before my Mom could pick it up.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.
Get a few more than you think you’ll need. My MIL needed one a few years after her husband died. I don’t remember what for but she had one on hand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom