Debt ceiling speech

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And why shouldn't the corporate entities in this country carry their weight as well? There are thousands of stories about corporations who do not pay ANY Local or State income or property taxes (in an effort to get those business to locate to those areas).

Sounds like a governmental problem to me. They don't HAVE to provide those tax incentives, but they do. Is it fair for them to pull a bait and switch on the businesses that relocate there?

Meanwhile our State and Local governments are literally going bankrupt, closing services, laying people off, and putting off major infrastructure projects because they can't pay for them. Why should individual citizens carry all of the burden of funding the government?

The people who are employed by those businesses and live in the community do pay those taxes, so what's the problem? If the government can still get by after laying XYZ person off, that means XYZ person is not essential to governing and as far as I'm concerned, that position shouldn't exist in the first place. This is a Federal example, but the FAA recently shut down, except for Air traffic controllers - there's a reason. ATC is essential to operations, but not the staff assistant drawing a 40,000 income and Federal benefits.

You guys keep talking about how everyone should pay their share, but right now the super rich and giant corporations do not pay their share.

Un-fricken-believable. I ask you again - Person A pays 35% and Person B pays 10% (or even 0%) . How is Person A not paying his fair share, but Person B is?

the President set the $250,000 benchmark was so that he and members of Congress would be included in the tax hike.

How benevolent of him ::rollseyes::

Mgarza_a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And why shouldn't the corporate entities in this country carry their weight as well? There are thousands of stories about corporations who do not pay ANY Local or State income or property taxes (in an effort to get those business to locate to those areas). Meanwhile our State and Local governments are literally going bankrupt, closing services, laying people off, and putting off major infrastructure projects because they can't pay for them. Why should individual citizens carry all of the burden of funding the government? And why should the tax burden fall at the feet of those who don't have special Congressional loopholes built in for them or an army of lawyers and accountant to find every tax break and rebate possible? You guys keep talking about how everyone should pay their share, but right now the super rich and giant corporations do not pay their share.

I'm not really talking about small business owners. I'm talking about the people at the top of the multi-national corporations who receive more in bonuses every year than all us on the OSA forum will see in our entire lifetimes put together. The only reason the President set the $250,000 benchmark was so that he and members of Congress would be included in the tax hike.

I think sooner summed that up pretty well. However the elite and corporations are privy to tax loopholes, but what do you call it when a lower income family games the same system. Working for 3 - 6 months then having 3 kids entitles them to all they paid it plus more? Give me a break man both are loopholes. I have no doubt that the scales are tipped to the weathly but they are also in favor of the lower income. The idea is to expand the tax base and lower the overall rates not punish the "wealthy" (which I hardly believe $250,000 qualifies), when it's not only they who are abusing the systems.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You want to tax someone tax China. They are dumping cheap products in this country forcing companies to go oversea to stay in business and when the business goes so does the jobs! It don't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once again.... a tax on spending taxes EVERYONE. How could that possibly be unfair? Poorer people buy less, so they pay less. Rich people buy more, so they pay more. It's a percentage, and it's nearly impossible to avoid, aka loopholes.

Loopholes and tax breaks are entitlements. But to some, entitlements are a good thing. Those who benefit from them...

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want to tax someone tax China. They are dumping cheap products in this country forcing companies to go oversea to stay in business and when the business goes so does the jobs! It don't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

We can't tax China. We have to borrow more money from China, so that we can pay back the money we borrowed from China. Plus we need to raise taxes to pay for the study of wangs and buy more votes from the people we promise the money to.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Top 5 percent of taxpayers paid more than one-half (53.8 percent) of all individual income taxes
The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid 33.7 percent ( http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/incometaxandtheirs/a/whopaysmost.htm )

There may be more recent data but I don't think it will be much different.

The only reason the President set the $250,000 benchmark was so that he and members of Congress would be included in the tax hike.

Now that's funny.

What bothers me most about all of this and the President's speech, that I did listen to, is the class warfare being promoted by President Obama. Comparing this political conflict to the debates about slavery? are you kidding me!
And folks like Grendel who have bought into the idea that the "rich" owe me something.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We can't tax China. We have to borrow more money from China, so that we can pay back the money we borrowed from China. Plus we need to raise taxes to pay for the study of wangs and buy more votes from the people we promise the money to.

You can raise the tariffs which will in turn make US Mfg more compeditive and bring back both Jobs and wages to this country. From that you will increase your tax base.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is called protectionism and does not always work.

BS! Most people would prefer to buy American. With China keeping their wages to an all time low and no EPA, OSHA or Unions how in the hell are we to compete? Pleople need to pull there heads out of their butts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom