Debt ceiling speech

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this is the most amusing thing about the whole affair.

"Hey you shouldn't enact those policies. It could cause companies to send money off-shore or use other countries' more favorable tax laws"
*they do it anyway*

"WAAAAAAAAAH why is Halliburton relocating their offices to the UAE!?!?! They're so evil!"

Maybe because the US already has the highest corporate tax rate in the western world.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How do you think people become super rich? By not having to pay taxes on the money they make. The more you make, the faster your tax breaks rack up. Eventually you'll make enough that you can buy yourself a Senator and then you don't have to pay any taxes. Conversely, the less money you have, the more you will end up paying just to survive.

Our system is designed to make poor people even more poor and wealthy people even more obscenely wealthy.

You can't honestly believe a word of what you just said. The less you EARN, the more you RECEIVE from the government. Here's a pretty depressing thought - the only reason 90% of the people who are even AWARE of the debt ceiling saga care about what happens, is because they receive some form of income from the government. Modern American society has become dependent on the government for their livelihood. I heard a woman call into Rush Limbaugh today who said if she doesn't receive her social security check next month, she will "lose everything". Really? How the hell do you end up in a situation of being ABSOLUTELY dependent on the government? Do you not have family? Church? Friends? People like her have more problems in their lives than simply receiving a social security check. It's a state of mind that John Boehner can't fix and Barack Obama takes advantage of.

Why stop with just the corporations? Why not get rid of ALL taxes, then EVERYONE can help contribute to the "true economic stimulation". The Supreme Court has already ruled that corporations should be treated as individuals, why can't individuals get the same benefits as a corporation? Think of how much extra money you would have to spend on plasma TVs and .mp3 players and cigarettes, and internet music downloads, and cool cars and booze and strippers and guns and ammo and cable TV and cell phones and everything else if you didn't have to pay your income taxes, or sales tax, or property tax or gasoline taxes or the excise tax and tag fees when you buy a new car, or use taxes on thing you buy out of state or your NFA tax stamp or road tolls etc.... Almost sounds like a Utopian society. No taxes, and no government.

I didn't say eliminate taxes - I said relax them.

On another note, tell me why it is fair for two people to pay two different tax rates? Why should Person A be taxed at 35% and Person B be taxed at 10%? The harder I work, the more successful I am, the more I have to pay to support those who don't?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
$250,000 a year makes someone "obscenely wealthy"?

WOW.

I cannot WAIT to pay off my "obscene debt" and get the hell out of this place if that's the kind of mentality that is prevailing in this country. And it seems more and more like it is every day.

I agree that I should pay my share of taxes... but so should everyone else.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People are smarter than you think. There are many who play the system (and their ranks are swelling). They work long enough (usually 4 to 6 months) during the year to ensure they make a paycheck, so that the taxes are taken out and keep qualifing for SS, but never to exceed 20k. They then quite (laid off, because that project ended) and travel around earning cash wages on odd jobs all while drawing unemployment until the next year, when it starts all over again. This "low" yearly wage allows them to participate in all the entitlement programs. This is your working poor that we hear so much about. I admit they work their a$$es off when they want to, but it is on their time and they could not do it without Uncle Sam facilitating it.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, looking at it from my end, I would agree that $250,000 per year in income would be obscenely wealthy.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry, knowing that people feel this way. Only someone who has never owned a business could. When you have overhead and 20 people working under you, 250k does not go very far.
Why did Obama never mention his VETO threat last night?

Latest posts

Top Bottom