Deer friendly snacks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally like pistachios as a snack, not to say if it had any affect on the deer.
Jalapeno cheddar deer summer sausage definitely a no-go. 3 of us got winded terrible opening day a couple years back, all sitting in different stands. No hoof-pounding, blowing, tail up and off to the races. Just nose up, stopped and changed direction.
The sausage was still in the Ziploc bags inside backpacks. None of us had even eaten any yet. We went back at lunch and swapped stories and decided to ditch the sausage. We all had to go to Wally and get different backpacks because we couldn't get the smell out.
Didn't really think it was the best idea before we did it, but it was SOOOO good, we decided to risk it.
I agree that scent control is over hyped. Human BO, shampoo, cologne, etc. need to be controlled, but come on. I've came in from work and went out in street clothes and bare handed all my game cameras and feeders and have pictures of deer coming up to all of them within hours of being there.
But at the same time, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If it's supposed to help, I'll probably try it. I'd hate to think I could have killed the monster if I'd just have done _________.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with this in a lot of ways except for things like sweat, urine, and possibly smells that Deer would naturally associate with danger due to past experience (like gun oil, burnt powder smell, etc...).

That's what I hate about CLP Break Free on my hunting rifles - that stuff stinks badly.

I knew a girl and her husband didn't mind letting her pee near the treestand. I don't know maybe he just liked watching her pee. As far a petroluem smells, I've hunted property that had working oil wells on it and the deer don't seem to mind. I can't recall how many times I've come back to the truck and found fesh deer tracks within a few feet of the truck. I guess it all just depends on what you're going after.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I'd say that trail mix or something of that sort would all be good choices. They are easy to eat and provide plenty of calories. I'd rather not here my stomach rumble over the racket the squirrels make.

Latest posts

Top Bottom