Deer not feeding in Food plot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys so Earlier this year I planted my first food plot. The first area I planted was a complete failure. Rains came in after I planted and washed majority of my seeds out.

Well waited a couple weeks tilled up a new area re-planted and I have red ripper cowpeas standing about 2' tall. I have a trail camera standing over it and I see deer and even a HOG(IT WILL DIE WHEN I GET THE OPPURTUNITY). Never have I seen in the pics of deer grazing. I have it set on a 3 pic burst and only see them pass by or slowly wander through. I am sure some are grazing as they walk but I figured they would keep this plot mowed down.
Now About 20 yards away I have a drip set up. It is a 30gal barrel over a tub with mineral in it. The Barrel has a valve on it to let molasses drip onto the mineral. Now I have seen action on that. Deer, coons, and the hog. So I don't think that is keeping them off the plot.

Do you think there is more than enough forage out there this year that they are leaving this plot alone?
I mean I spent some time to plant this thing and I didn't expect to see 30-50 deer in it at a time. but over 2 months camera may pick up 10-15 pics of deer over that time.
I just don't feel like right now after spending the hours to clear the area, spray killer for grass, pull some tree roots, tilling, fertilizing and planting and all was worth to see that few of deer in it. I have seen herds on this land of 20-30 deer at a time. Plot isn't right on there trail I have seen them on but about 30-50 yards off of it so I know they can find it.
actually I set my camera up while I was clearing area and tilling for this plot and saw more deer in it before cowpeas began to grow.
I am still gonna til it all up in September some time and plant some winter forage. Should I stay away from Winter cowpeas and try something else? Winter Wheat, clovers?

I have seen this new stuff from Tink's called Salad Dressin. Anyone bought and used it yet? or is there something else or any ideas to get some more activity on this plot?

If anyone wants some coons I have built the perfect coon hunting location though lol.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kill Hog ASAP! Don't let reproduction start. The hog killing should take priority over food plots at the moment. Deer have plenty of forage right now and with the heat they don't forage as much as they do in cooler temps.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If there's no other agriculture around, wheat is hard to beat. Cheap, almost fool proof as far as planting goes and will last the fall and winter. Milo is a good one too....and cheap!!

Just an edit to this, I've seen deer walk around a deer feeder/corn pile to head out to a wheat or milo field for the evening, and see this many, many times every season.

Last edited:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
oklahomabassin is correct. get that pig NOW. chances are, if you're seeing one, there are more. I would concentrate on that SOB right N.O.W. Once summer forage is eaten down and played out, they will overrun your plots and start rooting to get the deeper stuff.

Make it your job to take him and any others out. It's the best thing you can do for your plot(s)

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well there lies the problem. I have only got glimpse of the hog in question from trail cam and only at night. have not found any sort of pattern with the hog as of yet. only caught hog on camera twice. how about do I get this thing found and killed

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
when those cow peas start putting on pea pods the deer will hammer them everything else around will be dried up right now there is still spring clovers,young weeds they can eat.i bet by sept it will be loaded with deer,

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well there lies the problem. I have only got glimpse of the hog in question from trail cam and only at night. have not found any sort of pattern with the hog as of yet. only caught hog on camera twice. how about do I get this thing found and killed

bait the pig in with a corn pile...then kill it

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The deer aren't hitting your peas because they are eating the browse That they prefer, and your peas may not be palatable to them right now being that tall.
Lots of farmers are putting in soy beans right now, and you don't see herds of deer all over them. We have a big garden in our yard, and see deer almost every night walking the fence line or high line right of way browsing. Our garden has never been hit by deer in the 25 years we have lived here.
In the fall, when the acorns drop, deer will leave the best food plot on earth to get the acorns.

This year with the early rains and cool weather, Browse is at a premium.

Latest posts

Top Bottom