Deer not feeding in Food plot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is always a bumper crop around my area.

I got hooked up with a local nursery a couple of years ago, and bought 10 apple trees that had lost their variety tags, so they sold them to me for 5 bucks each.

Planted them, and made a corral of barbed wire to keep the deer off of them, but the grass hoppers got on them, stripping the bark and killing them. I've lost lots of 5 acre food plots to them. Good food for the upland birds though.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I guess I am just worrying too much. went and picked up memory cards out of trail cameras and had quite a few on there. anyways I am seeing some nice bucks right now. Got a couple real nice ones on film. Hope they hang around til bow season.....
but they seem to be grazing in it a bit now. actually cameras were set from mid may til now and majority of photos were taken in the last two weeks. so I do believe they are starting to get in it now. Now I feel all good inside as it looks like it's paying off. After I get some of the photos picked out I will upload a few here.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am gonna try and get this posted in order they were taken by date. and yes Temp is wrong on this camera. bought it refurbed for like $50. Bought two this one doesn't read temp right other is flawless.

go ahead and comment further on photos lol.
I can't believe my eyes on some of these deer. We bought this land 1.5 years ago. This is the first real scouting I have done starting this spring. I have many photos of about 10 bucks running together for now. both day and night and can already see a pattern starting with them. had about 200 pics of bucks within the last week.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol well Beginners luck I think is what happened with that plot.

The first plot I planted was an epic failure. spent a lot of time tilling with a garden tiller just to have a massive rain wash my seeds out the next day after planting.

this plot had help. Okie4570 let me have a disc he had made to pull behind a atv. That sped my process up quite a bit. got it tilled and with a homemade drag leveled the ground and made a groove in ground for seeds to fall in. spread the seeds thick with a hand spreader. went back over plot with the drag to cover seed. left it alone and that's what it has done for me.

and yes I am very surprised with the bucks in there. I can not wait til bow season. Bought me a nice new old stock Hoyt CRX32 after deer season ended and can't wait to test the bow out. probably gonna sit about 50-75yards off plot and maybe try to catch one of them bucks. preferably that old looking one with the massive base horns.
I feel like a kid on Christmas eve the only problem is we still have almost 90 days lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom